The Stone Crabs found themselves one run short following an offensive parade in Monday’s series finale against the Palm Beach Cardinals. The Stone Crabs lost to the Cardinals 10-9 at Roger Dean Stadium in a game that featured four home runs.
The Cardinals jumped out to a 6-0 by the end of the third inning, highlighted by a grand slam by Alan Ahmady in the third.
The Stone Crabs clawed their way back into the game by scoring five runs in the fourth. Derek Dietrich opened up the inning with a double to center. He then scored on an RBI double by Mikie Mahtook to put the Stone Crabs on the board. Riccio Torrez then cleared the bases with his sixth homer of the season. The Stone Crabs got two more runs on the inning to pull within a run of the lead 6-5.
But the Cardinals went to the long ball again to distance themselves in the sixth. This time it was Nick Longmire going deep to extend the lead to 9-5.
The Stone Crabs pulled back to within a run of the lead following a three run homer by Derek Dietrich in the seventh inning.
The Cardinals added an insurance run in the bottom of the seventh inning to bring the score to 10-8.
The Stone Crabs made a late charge at the lead in the eighth inning. Torrez and Cody Rogers led off the inning with back to back walks to put the tying run on the bases. Torrez was score on a ground out by Robi Estrada but the tying run would be stranded at third as the Stone Crabs took the loss 10-9.
Stone Crabs starter CJ Riefenhauser was charged with the loss. Riefenhauser was ejected from the game in the fifth inning after hitting Ahmady in the foot with a pitch after Ahmady delivered a grand slam in his earlier at-bat.
The Stone Crabs enjoy a day off on Tuesday before opening a four game series against the Lakeland Flying Tigers at home at Charlotte Sports Park.
- Hector Guevara (DH): 0 for 5 with an RBI
- Sam Fuld (LF): 0 for 2 with a walk
- Phil Wunderlich (PH-1B): 1 for 2
- Robby Price (PR): ran for Wunderlich in the ninth
- Steven Tinoco (1B-LF): 1 for 5 with a run scored
- Derek Dietrich (2B): 3 for 5 with a double, home run and 3 RBI’s
- Mikie Mahtook (RF): 1 for 4 with a double and an RBI
- Riccio Torrez (3B): 1 for 3 with a homer and 2 RBI’s
- Cody Rogers (CF): 0 for 2 with 2 walks
- Luke Bailey (C): 2 for 3
- Robi Estrada (SS) 0 for 3 with 2 RBI’s
- CJ Riefenhauser (Loss, 7-5): 7 runs on 7 hits with 3 strikeouts in 4 innings
- Alex Koronis: 3 runs on 5 hits with 2 strikeouts in 2 innings
- Theron Geith: 2 scoreless innings