The Stone Crabs overcame an early deficit and held off a late rally to defeat the Fort Myers Miracle 7-5 on Thursday night at Charlotte Sports Park. The Stone Crabs offense was strong as each hitter in the lineup recorded a hit.
The Miracle jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in the first inning. Daniel Ortiz and Kyle Knudson drew back to back walks to get things started. Josmil Pinto drove home the first run of the game with a single to left to score Ortiz. Knudson and Pinto scored on a double by Lance Ray to give the Miracle a 3-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs reached the scoreboard in the second inning. Steven Tinoco led off the inning with a single to short. Cody Rogers then drove home Tinoco with a triple to center. Rogers scored on a single by Chris Murrill to pull within a run of the lead 3-2.
The Stone Crabs took their first lead of the game by scoring four runs in the third. Derek Dietrich singled followed by back to back walks by Mikie Mahtook and Riccio Torrez to load the bases. Tinoco drove home two runs with a ground rule double. Torrez and Tinoco later scored on a double by Luke Bailey to give the Stone Crabs a 6-3 lead.
The Miracle got back a run in the fifth inning. Levi Michael reached on a force out. Michael then stole second and advanced to third on a throwing error by Bailey, one of three errors by Bailey on the night. Michael then scored on a single by Knudson to pull the Miracle to within two runs of the lead 6-4.
The Stone Crabs posted an insurance run in the eighth inning. Bailey and Murrill got back to back singles to get things going. Robby Price singled home Bailey to increase the lead to 7-4.
The Miracle tried to rally in the ninth. Daniel Ortiz delivered a solo homer to pull the Miracle to within two runs of the lead. Then Knudson reached on an error by Bailey to put a runner on the bases with two out. But Jim Morrison made the call to the bullpen and Chris Rearick came in and preserved the win for the Stone Crabs.
Victor Mateo picked up the win for the Stone Crabs and improved to 2-2 on the season. Rearick notched the save, his fifteenth of the season.
The Stone Crabs travel to Fort Myers for the middle game of the series tomorrow at Hammond Stadium. CJ Riefenhauser (7-2, 2.97) will get the start for the Stone Crabs against Matt Hauser (1-1, 2.57) of Fort Myers.
- Robby Price (DH): 2 for 5 with an RBI.
- Hector Guevara (2B): 1 for 5 with a double.
- Derek Dietrich (SS): 2 for 5 with a run scored.
- Mikie Mahtook (RF): 1 for 3 with a walk and a run scored.
- Riccio Torrez (3B): 1 for 3 with a run scored.
- Steven Tinoco (1B): 2 for 4 with a double, 2 RBI’s and 2 runs scored.
- Cody Rogers (LF): 1 for 4 with a triple, RBI and a run scored.
- Luke Bailey (C): 2 for 4 with a double, 2 RBI’s and a run scored.
- Chris Murrill (CF): 2 for 4 with an RBI.
- Victor Mateo (Win, 2-2): 4 runs on 4 hits with 4 strikeouts and 4 walks in 5 innings.
- Theron Geith (Hold, 1): 2 scoreless innings with a hit, 5 strikeouts and a walk.
- Jimmy Patterson (Hold, 4): 1 run on 2 hits with 2 strikeouts and 2 walks in 1 2/3 innings.
- Chris Rearick (Save, 15): 1/3 no-hit inning.