The Stone Crabs ran out of innings as they fell to the Brevard County Manatees in the third game of Wednesday’s tripleheader. The Stone Crabs scored in all but two innings but it wasn’t enough to overcome the Manatees as they fell 8-5 in the finale.
The Stone Crabs took the lead in the first inning. Mike Mahtook singled home Robi Estrada to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
The Manatees answered with a run of their own in the first to tie the game.
The Stone Crabs regained the lead in the top of the second inning. Cody Rogers hit his fourth triple of the season to put a runner on the bases. Rogers later scored on a passed ball to give them a 2-1 lead.
But the Manatees broke the game wide open in the third inning when they struck for five runs. The Manatees tagged Eliazer Suero for five hits in the inning, four of them of the extra base variety including a two run homer to give them a 6-2 lead.
The Stone Crabs added another run in the fourth inning. Hector Guevara singled to left and later scored on an RBI single by Chris Murrill cut the lead in half 6-3.
The Manatees countered with two runs of their own in the bottom of the fourth. The first run came on a wild pitch by Lenny Linsky and the second game on an RBI single by Jason Rogers to extended the Manatee lead to 8-3.
The Stone Crabs added a solo run in the sixth on an RBI single by Murrill to score Alejandro Torres.
They added another solo run in the top of the seventh on a solo homer by Derek Dietrich to put the final score at 8-5.
Suero suffered the loss for the Stone Crabs.
The Stone Crabs wrapped up the series with the Manatees and return home to Charlotte Sports Park to open a series against the Fort Myers Miracle on Thursday. Victor Mateo will get the start for the Stone Crabs opposite Cole Nelson for Fort Myers.
- Robby Price (3B): 1 for 3 with a walk.
- Robi Estrada (2B): 1 for 3 with a walk and a run scored.
- Derek Dietrich (SS): 1 for 4 with a solo homer.
- Mikie Mahtook (RF): 1 for 4 with an RBI.
- Phil Wunderlich (1B): 0 for 4.
- Hector Guevara (DH): 1 for 3 with a run scored.
- Cody Rogers (LF): 1 for 2 with a triple, walk and run scored.
- Alejandro Torres (C): 1 for 2 with a double, walk and run scored.
- Chris Murrill (CF): 2 for 3 with 2 RBI’s.
- Eliazer Suero (Loss, 1-5): 6 runs on 7 hits with 3 strikeouts and 2 walks in 3 innings pitched.
- Lenny Linsky: 2 runs on 3 hits with 2 strikeouts and 2 walks in 1 inning pitched.
- Braulio Lara: 1 no-hit inning with 1 strikeout.
- Chris Rearick: 1 shut-out inning with 1 hit.