The Stone Crabs went into Saturday, hoping to play a doubleheader. But Mother Nature had a different schedule in mind, dropping heavy rain over the area just prior to game time. But after a 2 hour rain delay, the twin bill was nixed in lieu of a single nine inning game. Albert Suarez made his highly anticipated debut as the Stone Crabs beat the Fort Myers Miracle 6-2.
The Stone Crabs took the lead in the second inning. Matt Hall doubled to center with one out to put a runner in scoring position. Omar Luna doubled home Hall with an RBI double to left that gave the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added to their lead in third inning. Brett Nommensen reached on a single to put a runner on the bases. Then Mark Thomas struck his twelfth homer of the season, tying Henry Wrigley for the franchise lead in home runs and giving the Stone Crabs a 3-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs offense continued to roll as they scored three more runs in the fourth inning. Luna and Anthony Scelfo delivered back to back singles to lead off the inning. Luna scored the first run of the inning on an Alejandro Torres sac fly. Ty Morrison then hit an RBI double to center, scoring Scelfo. Morrison later scored on an RBI single by Nommensen to increase the lead to 6-0. Nommensen would depart the game after reaching safely with an apparent leg injury, an injury that has plagued him all season.
Fort Myers reached the scoreboard in the sixth inning. Aaron Hicks doubled to right to lead off the inning. He moved to third on a wild pitch and later scored on a sac fly by James Beresford to put their first run on the scoreboard.
The Miracle scored again in the eighth. Hicks reached on a walk and then later scored on an RBI single by Dan Rohlfing. But the Stone Crabs kept the Miracle off the board the remainder of the night as they cruised to a 6-2 victory.
Suarez picked up the win in his Stone Crabs debut. Pat Dean was the losing pitcher for Fort Myers.
The second game of Saturday’s doubleheader was moved to Sunday. The Stone Crabs and Miracle will play two on Sunday beginning at 3:30. Kyle Lobstein will start game one while CJ Riefenhauser will get the ball for game two.
- Ty Morrison (CF): 2 for 4 with a double, RBI and a run scored.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 0 for 4.
- Brett Nommensen (RF): 3 for 3 with a double, RBI and a run scored.
- Reid Fronk (PR-RF): 0 for 1.
- Mark Thomas (C): 1 for 4 with a 2 run homer.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 0 for 3.
- Matt Hall (SS): 1 for 4 with a double.
- Omar Luna (3B): 3 for 4 with a double and an RBI.
- Anthony Scelfo (LF): 1 for 4 with a run scored.
- Alejandro Torres (DH): 0 for 2 with an RBI.
- Albert Suarez (Win, 1-0): 1 run on 3 hits with a strikeout and 2 walks in 5 2/3 innings.
- Matt Stabelfeld: 1 run on 2 hits with 4 strikeouts and a walk in 2 1/3 innings.
- Kirby Yates: struck out the side in a no-hit ninth.