The Stone Crabs suffered a three game sweep by the division leading Bradenton Marauders after losing Thursday’s series finale 3-1 at McKechnie Field.
The Marauders took the lead in the third inning. Benji Gonzalez drew a walk to put a runner on the bases. Robbie Grossman then delivered a two run homer to put them ahead 2-0.
The Stone Crabs cut the lead in half in the top of the fourth. Mark Thomas reached on an error to lead off the inning. He would later score following an RBI single by Omar Luna to put the Stone Crabs within a run of the lead 2-1.
But the Marauders posted an insurance run in the bottom of the fourth. Carlos Paulino was hit by a pitch to give them a baserunner. Cole White drove him home with a triple to center to give the Marauders a 3-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs had a few missed opportunities to push the runner home from scoring position resulting in the 3-1 loss.
Merrill Kelly was charged with the loss. Nate Baker was the winning pitcher for Bradenton.
The Stone Crabs return home to Charlotte Sports Park for a series against the Fort Myers Miracle. Albert Suarez will be making his Stone Crabs debut after returning from the DL. He will be facing Pat Dean for Fort Myers.
- Ty Morrison (CF): 1 for 4.
- Matt Hall (SS): 0 for 4.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 0 for 3.
- Mark Thomas (C): 1 for 4 with a double and a run scored.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 1 for 4.
- Anthony Scelfo (LF): 0 for 4.
- Omar Luna (3B): 1 for 4 with an RBI.
- Reid Fronk (RF): 0 for 3.
- Alejandro Torres (DH): 2 for 3 with a double.
- Merrill Kelly: 3 runs on 5 hits with 2 strikeouts and a walk in 6 innings.
- Mike Jarman: 2 scoreless innings with a hit, 2 walks and 3 strikeouts.