The Stone Crabs were shut-out by the St. Lucie Mets 4-0 in the series finale on Sunday at Charlotte Sports Park. The offense failed to get going, finishing the evening with just three hits and a walk.
St. Lucie jumped took the lead in the second inning Travis Ozga doubled to right to get things going. Then later in the inning, Rylan Sandoval struck a double into center field to score Ozga and give the Mets a 1-0 lead.
The Mets got another run in the sixth inning. Gilbert Gomez singled to right to lead off the inning. Gomez later scored on an RBI single by Wilmer Flores to extend the lead to 2-0.
The Mets doubled their lead in the top of the ninth inning. Stefan Welch doubled to right to lead off the inning. Welch then scored on a double by Francisco Pena. Pena scored later in the inning on an RBI single by Juan Centeno to give the Mets the 4-0 win.
CJ Riefenhauser was on the hook for the loss. Armando Rodriguez picked up the win for St. Lucie with Josh Edgin getting the save.
Sunday’s game was the final meeting of these two teams for the 2011 regular season. The Mets took the season series 13-5.
The Stone Crabs are off on Monday before heading into a crucial series against the Bradenton Marauders on Tuesday at McKechnie Field. Alex Koronis will start the opener against Brett Lorin for Bradenton.
- Ty Morrison (CF): 1 for 3.
- Reid Fronk (RF): 0 for 4.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 0 for 4.
- Anthony Scelfo (LF): 0 for 3.
- Mark Thomas (C): 0 for 3.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 0 for 3.
- Matt Hall (SS): 1 for 3.
- Jake Jefferies (DH): 0 for 3.
- Omar Luna (3B): 1 for 3 with a double.
- CJ Riefenhauser (Loss, 0-1): 1 run on 3 hits with 4 strikeouts in 5 innings.
- Deivis Mavarez: 1 run on 3 hits with a walk in 2 1/3 innings.
- Matt Stabelfeld: 2 runs on 3 hits with 2 walks in 1 2/3 innings.