The Stone Crabs lost to the Palm Beach Cardinals 3-1 in the series finale on Thursday night at Roger Dean Stadium. The Stone Crabs took an early lead but fell in the late innings to lose the series and the season series to the Cardinals.
The Stone Crabs broke the scoreless tie in the top of the fifth inning. Jake Jefferies reached base on a double to left field. Jefferies later scored on an RBI double by Reid Fronk to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
The 1-0 lead held until the bottom of the seventh inning. Xavier Scruggs led off the inning with a single to center. Rainel Rosario drove home Scruggs with a double to center that tied the game. Rosario scored the go-ahead run on an RBI single by Niko Vasquez. Vasquez was the Cardinals insurance run when he scored on a single by Starlin Rodriguez to give the Cardinals a 3-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs could not push across another run as they fell 3-1.
Adam Liberatore was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs. Justin Smith was the winner for Palm Beach and Jordan Swagerty picked up the save.
The Stone Crabs travel to Digital Domain Park to start a three game series against the St. Lucie Mets on Friday. Merrill Kelly will start the opener against Darin Gorski for St. Lucie.
- Reid Fronk (RF): 1 for 4 with a double.
- Ty Morrison (CF): 1 for 4.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 0 for 4.
- Anthony Scelfo (LF): 0 for 4.
- Mark Thomas (DH): 0 for 4.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 0 for 4.
- Matt Hall (SS): 1 for 3.
- Jake Jefferies (C): 2 for 3 with a double and a run scored.
- Omar Luna (3B):0 for 3.
- Jake Thompson: pitched 6 shut-out innings with a hit, 4 strikeouts and a walk.
- Adam Liberatore (Blown Save, 3) (Loss, 5-4): 3 runs on 4 hits with a strikeout and a walk in 1 innings.
- Scott Shuman: 1 scoreless inning with a hit, strikeout and a walk.