The Stone Crabs combined to throw a league leading twelfth shut-out of the season as they ended the St. Lucie series on a high note, defeating the Mets 3-0 on Monday night at Charlotte Sports Park. Kyle Lobstein led the way with six shut-out frames before turning it over to Kirby Yates to finish the deal.
The Stone Crabs jumped out into the lead in the first inning. Ty Morrison singled to right to put a runner aboard. Morrison then stole second and advanced to third following an errant throw on the play. Anthony Scelfo hit into a fielder’s choice later in the inning to score Morrison and give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added two more runs in the third inning. Hak-Ju Lee led off the inning with a solo home run, his fourth of the year. Tyler Bortnick then drew a walk to put another Stone Crab on the bases. Bortnick then stole second and third before scoring on a sac fly by Mark Thomas to extend the lead to 3-0.
That was all that was needed to give the Stone Crabs a win over the Mets. Lobstein picked up the win and Yates earned the save.
With the win, the Stone Crabs have climbed back into second place in the division and are three games back from the division leading Bradenton Marauders.
The Stone Crabs hit the road for a three game series against the Palm Beach Cardinals at Roger Dean Stadium. CJ Riefenhauser gets the nod to start the opener against Arquimedes Nieto for Palm Beach.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 2 for 4 with a solo home run.
- Ty Morrison (CF): 1 for 4 with a run scored.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 1 for 1 with 3 walks and a run scored.
- Anthony Scelfo (LF): 1 for 3 with a double and an RBI.
- Mark Thomas (DH): 1 for 2 with an RBI.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 0 for 4.
- Matt Hall (3B): 0 for 3 with a walk.
- Jake Jefferies (C): 0 for 4.
- Dustin Biell (RF): 0 for 3.
- Kyle Lobstein (Win, 8-9): 6 shut-out innings with 4 hits, 6 strikeouts and a walk.
- Kirby Yates (Save, 1): no runs on 1 hits with a strikeout and 2 walks in 3 innings.