The Stone Crabs did something on Saturday night that they have struggled to do all year, beat the St.Lucie Mets. The Stone Crabs offense came alive with 15 hits which led to 6 runs and a 6-3 win over the Mets at Digital Domain Park.
The Stone Crabs hit the scoreboard first in the top of the third. Omar Luna led off the inning with a single to right. He later scored on a double by Hak-Ju Lee to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
St. Lucie quickly tied the game in the bottom of the third. Cesar Puello drew a walk. He advanced to third on a ground rule double by Wilmer Flores. Stefan Welch drove home the tying run with a sac fly to center to tie the game 1-1.
The Stone Crabs regained the lead in the fourth inning. Tyler Bortnick led off the inning with a walk followed by a single by Anthony Scelfo. Jake Jefferies plated both runners with a single into left field to give the Stone Crabs a 3-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs used a trio of one run innings to extend their lead. Luna scored on the top of the sixth on a ground ball by Ty Morrison. Then in the seventh, Bortnick reached on a double and then scored on an RBI single by Luna. The final run came in the eighth on an RBI double by Bortnick that scored Mark Thomas to give the Stone Crabs a commanding 6-1 lead.
St. Lucie threatened in the eighth inning as they walked their way into loading the bases. Puello then delivered a bases loaded single that scored two runs and cut the lead in half. But the Stone Crabs closed the door and held of the for the 6-3 win.
Jake Thompson picked up the win for the Stone Crabs with Josh Satow earning the save. Scott Moviel suffered the lose for St. Lucie.
The series shifts to Charlotte Sports Park on Sunday. Merrill Kelly will be on the hill for the Stone Crabs against Zack Wheeler for St. Lucie.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 1 for 5 with a double.
- Ty Morrison (CF): 2 for 5 with an RBI.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 2 for 5 with a double.
- Mark Thomas (C): 1 for 5 with a run scored.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 4 for 4 with 2 doubles, an RBI, walk and 2 runs scored.
- Anthony Scelfo (LF): 1 for 5 with a run scored.
- Reid Fronk (RF): 0 for 3 with 2 walks.
- Jake Jefferies (DH): 1 for 4 with 2 RBI’s.
- Omar Luna (3B): 3 for 4 with an RBI and 2 runs scored.
- Jake Thompson (Win, 4-5): 1 run on 4 hits with 4 strikeouts and 4 walks in 6 innings.
- Matt Stabelfeld: 2 runs (1 earned) on 2 hits with 5 walks and 2 strikeouts in 1 2/3 innings.
- Scott Shuman (Hold, 5): 1/3 no-hit inning with a walk.
- Josh Satow (Save, 12): 1 scoreless inning with a hit and a strikeout.