The Stone Crabs struggled with control and lacked offensive attack as they were shut-out 6-0 by the Palm Beach Cardinals on Friday night at Charlotte Sports Park. The Stone Crabs pitching staff combined with four hit batters, four walks and two balks with starter Alex Koronis the culprit of most of those.
Palm Beach took the lead in the third inning. Domnit Bolivar singled to center to lead off the inning. Then he advanced to second on a balk followed by a walk to Greg Garcia. Kyle Conley drove home both runners with a double to center to give them a 2-0 lead.
Palm Beach increase their lead in the fourth on another RBI double by Conley. Conley drove a pitch into left field which allowed Bolivar to score and increase the lead to 3-0.
The Cardinals added a run in the seventh. Robert Stock laid down a sac bunt that scored Garcia and gave them a 4-0 lead.
Palm Beach finished out their run production with a two run eighth inning. Adam Melker was hit by a pitch to get things going. Ted Obregon followed with a line drive single. Then Bolivar drove home both runners with an RBI single to left that handed the Stone Crabs a 6-0 loss.
The Stone Crabs offense struggled to get anything going on the night. Tyler Bortnick was the only hitter to reach base twice, once via a single and the other via walk.
Koronis was charged with the loss for the Stone Crabs. Richard Castillo was the winning pitcher for Palm Beach.
The Stone Crabs open a three game set with the St. Lucie Mets on Saturday at Digital Domain Park. Jake Thompson will start the opener against Scott Moviel for St. Lucie.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 0 for 3 with a walk.
- Ty Morrison (CF): 0 for 4.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 1 for 3 with a walk.
- Mark Thomas (DH): 1 for 4.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 1 for 4.
- Anthony Scelfo (LF): 1 for 4.
- Matt Hall (3B): 0 for 3 with a walk.
- Jake Jefferies (C): 1 for 3.
- Alejandro Torres (C): 0 for 1.
- Dustin Biell (RF): 1 for 3.
- Alex Koronis (Loss, 7-6): 3 runs on 4 hits with 3 walks and 5 strikeouts in 4 innings.
- Michael Jarman: 1 unearned run on 2 hits with 3 strikeouts and a walk in 3 innings.
- Deivis Mavarez: 2 runs (1 earned) on 2 hits with 3 strikeouts in an inning.
- Omar Luna: pitched a no-hit ninth with 1 strikeout.