The Stone Crabs took advantage of a wild pitch to push across the winning run in the fourteenth inning as they defeated the Palm Beach Cardinals 2-1 on Thursday night at Charlotte Sports Park. Dominating pitching was the story of the night as the Stone Crabs turned in twelve consecutive shut-out innings while tying the team record for most strikeouts in a game with 15.
Palm Beach scored their only run of the game in the second inning when Domnit Bolivar crossed the plate following a bases loaded walk issued to Alan Ahmady to give the Cardinals a 1-0 lead.
From that point on, the Stone Crabs pitchers combined for 12 scoreless frames.
The Stone Crabs avoided defeat by pushing across a run in the bottom of the ninth. Hak-Ju Lee and Tyler Bortnick each drew a walk to put runners on the bases. Mike Sheridan then hit an RBI double that scored Lee to tie the game and force extra innings.
The contest remained tied 1-1 until the fourteenth inning. Jake Jefferies doubled to left to get things started. Matt Hall and Dustin Biell followed with back to back walks to load the bases. The winning run came on a wild pitch as the pinch running Scelfo crossed the plate to give the Stone Crabs a 2-1 walk-of win.
Michael Jarman picked up the win for the Stone Crabs. Chris Corrigan was charged with the loss.
The series wraps up on Friday night at Charlotte Sports Park. Alex Koronis get the start in the finale opposite Richard Castillo for Palm Beach.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 1 for 3 with 3 walks and a run scored.
- Ty Morrison (CF): 0 for 3.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 0 for 5 with a walk.
- Mark Thomas (C): 1 for 6.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 1 for 6 with a double and an RBI.
- Jake Jefferies (DH): 1 for 6 with a double.
- Anthony Scelfo (PR): pinch ran for Jefferies, scored winning run.
- Matt Hall (3B): 1 for 5 with a walk.
- Dustin Biell (LF): 0 for 5 with a walk.
- Reid Fronk (RF): 0 for 4 with a walk.
- CJ Riefenhauser: 1 run on 5 hits with a walk and 2 strikeouts in 5 innings.
- Kirby Yates: 3 no-hit innings with 5 strikeouts and a walk.
- Josh Satow: 2 scoreless innings with 1 hit, a walk and 4 strikeouts.
- Adam Liberatore: pitched 3 shut-out innings with a hit, 2 strikeouts and 2 walks.
- Michael Jarman (Win, 5-4): 1 no-hit inning with 2 strikeouts.