A big first inning by the visiting club put the Stone Crabs in a hole they would not be able to get out of as they fell to the Palm Beach Cardinals 10-4 on Wednesday night at Charlotte Sports Park.
Palm Beach took a big lead thanks to a disastrous first inning. The Cardinals scored 6 runs in the inning which was capped by a three run homer by Xavier Scruggs to give the lead 6-0.
The Stone Crabs bounced back to cut the lead in half in the bottom of the first. Hak-Ju Lee and Ty Morrison led off the inning with back to back singles. Tyler Bortnick picked up the first RBI with a double to right that scored Lee and moved Morrison to third. Morrison then scored on an RBI single by Mark Thomas. Anthony Scelfo later drove home Bortnick to pull the Stone Crabs to within three runs of the lead.
The Cardinals added two more runs in the fifth. Kyle Conley drew a walk and later scored on a double by Luis De La Cruz. De La Cruz then scored on an RBI single by Niko Vasquez to increase the lead to 8-3.
The Stone Crabs grabbed another run themselves in the bottom of the fifth. Thomas struck his 11th home run to bring the score to 8-4.
But the Palm Beach offense was not finished, striking for a pair of one run innings. First in the sixth, Starling Rodriguez struck an RBI triple to score Alan Ahmady. Then in the seventh, Ahmady drove home De La Cruz with a sac fly.
The Stone Crabs were unable to mount a comeback as they fell to the Cardinals 10-4.
Kyle Lobstein was charged with the loss. Tyler Lyons was the winner for Palm Beach.
The series resumes on Thursday night at Charlotte Sports Park. Its a battle of the lefties as CJ Riefenhauser gets the start against Kevin Siegrist.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 1 for 3 with a run scored.
- Ty Morrison (CF): 2 for 4 with a run scored.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 1 for 4 with a double, RBI and a run scored.
- Mark Thomas (C): 3 for 4 with a home run and 2 RBI’s.
- Alejandro Torres (C): did not hit.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 1 for 4 with a triple.
- Anthony Scelfo (LF): 0 for 4 with an RBI.
- Matt Hall (3B): 1 for 4.
- Reid Fronk (RF): 0 for 4.
- Omar Luna (DH): 1 for 4.
- Kyle Lobstein (Loss, 7-9): 6 runs on 8 hits with 2 walks and a strikeout in 4 innings.
- Matt Stabelfeld: 3 runs on 4 hits with 2 strikeouts and a walk in 2 innings.
- Scott Shuman: allowed a run on 1 hit with 2 walks and 3 strikeouts in 2 innings.
- Deivis Mavarez: pitched a no-hit inning with 3 strikeouts.