The Stone Crabs mustered a four run rally in the top of the ninth inning to defeat the Tampa Yankees 7-4 on Monday night at George M Steinbrenner Field. The win puts the Stone Crabs on a three game winning streak which helped move them into a tie for first place in the division.
The Stone Crabs jumped out to an early lead in the first inning. Hak-Ju Lee led off the game with a double to left. Ty Morrison then legged out a bunt, moving Lee to third and giving them runners at the corners. Tyler Bortnick plated the first run of the inning with an RBI single to left, scoring Lee. Morrison then scored on a ground ball by Mike Sheridan to give them a 2-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs kept Tampa off the board until the bottom of the fifth inning when they pushed across three runs. The Yankees loaded the bases via a walk, error and base hit by David Adams. Kyle Roller drove home their first run with a ground out to score Abraham Almonte. Then Cody Johnson delivered a two run single to center to put them in front 3-2.
Tampa added a run in the bottom of the sixth inning. Adam hit a line drive to left field that scored Almonte and extended their lead to 4-2.
The Stone Crabs made up a run in the seventh to reduce the deficit to one run. Bortnick drew a walk to lead off the inning. Bortnick advanced to second on a stolen base and then to third on an errant pick-off throw. Reid Fronk the drove Bortnick home with a sac fly to move them within a run of the lead 4-3.
The Stone Crabs then manufactured the game winning rally in the top of the ninth inning. The rally got underway with a walk by Bortnick to open the inning. Sheridan followed with a single to right that but two runners aboard. Both runners advanced into scoring position following a double steal. Then Fronk plated the tying run with a sac fly to score Bortnick. Matt Hall drew the second walk of the inning to put runners on the corners. Sheridan then scored the go-ahead run on a bunt by Dustin Biell with Hall moving to second on the play. Hall and Biell then score on an RBI double by the pinch hitting Anthony Scelfo to give the Stone Crabs the 7-4 victory.
Michael Jarman earned the win for the Stone Crabs while Josh Satow picked up the save. Preston Claiborne was charged with the loss for Tampa.
The Stone Crabs enjoy a day off on Tuesday before beginning a series against the Palm Beach Cardinals at home on Wednesday.
- Hak-Ju Lee (DH): 1 for 5 with a double and a run scored.
- Ty Morrison (CF): 1 for 4 with a run scored.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 1 for 2 with an RBI, 2 walks and 2 runs scored.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 2 for 4 with a run scored.
- Mark Thomas (C): 0 for 3 with a walk.
- Reid Fronk (RF): 1 for 3 with 2 RBI’s.
- Matt Hall (SS): 0 for 3 with a walk and a run scored.
- Dustin Biell (LF): 1 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Omar Luna (3B): 0 for 3.
- Anthony Scelfo (PH-3B): 1 for 1 with a double and 2 RBI’s.
- Merrill Kelly: 3 runs (2 earned) on 4 hits with 5 walks and 2 strikeouts in 4 innings.
- Adam Liberatore: 1 run on 3 hits with a walk in 2 innings.
- Michael Jarman (Win, 4-4): 2 scoreless innings with 2 hits and 2 strikeouts.
- Josh Satow (Save, 11): 1 no-hit inning.