After back to back nights of extra inning baseball, the Stone Crabs set out to keep from playing extra frames on Sunday afternoon. The Stone Crabs scored often as they shut-out the Tampa Yankees 7-0 on Sunday afternoon at George M Steinbrenner Field. The offense for the Stone Crabs came alive as they struck for 13 hits including a double and two triples. The win puts the Stone Crabs in a tie for first place in the FSL South Division.
The Stone Crabs jumped out in front in the first inning. Ty Morrison and Tyler Bortnick delivered back to back singles to get things going. Mike Sheridan singled home both runners to give the Stone Crabs a 2-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs posted two more runs to the scoreboard an inning later. Hak-Ju Lee singled to put a runner on the bases. Bortnick then struck an RBI triple and scored himself on a throwing error on the play to double the lead to 4-0.
The Stone Crabs pushed across yet another run in the third inning. Sheridan led off the inning with a double to left. Sheridan later scored on a ground ball by Matt Hall to extend the lead to 5-0.
The Stone Crabs scored another pair of runs on the top of the sixth inning. Lee reached bas following a walk. Then Morrison struck an RBI triple into right field to score Lee. Morrison then scored on a wild pitch to give the Stone Crabs the 7-0 margin of victory.
Jake Thompson pitched eighth shut-out innings to earn the win for the Stone Crabs. Brett Marshall was the losing pitcher for Tampa.
The series concludes on Monday night. Merrill Kelly will start the finale against Michael O’Brien for Tampa.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 1 for 4 with a walk and 2 runs scored.
- Ty Morrison (CF): 3 for 5 with a triple, RBI and 2 runs scored.
- Tyler Bortnick (DH): 2 for 3 with a triple, RBI and 2 runs scored.
- Anthony Scelfo (LF): 1 for 5.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 3 for 5 with a double, 2 RBI’s and a run scored.
- Mark Thomas (C): 2 for 4.
- Matt Hall (2B): 0 for 3 with an RBI.
- Dustin Biell (RF): 1 for 4.
- Omar Luna (3B): 0 for 4.
- Jake Thompson (Win, 3-5): 8 shut-out innings with 6 hits, 7 strikeouts and a walk.
- Scott Shuman: a scoreless inning with a hit, walk and 2 strikeouts.