Tampa broke the scoreless tie in the fifth inning. Luke Murton drove home Kelvin Castro to give the Yankees a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs matched runs and added another in the top of the sixth. Dustin Biell singled to lead off the inning. Biell scored on an RBI double by Hak-Ju Lee. Lee later scored on a sac fly by Anthony Scelfo to give the Stone Crabs a 2-1 lead.
But Tampa countered with two runs of their own in the bottom of the sixth. Castro doubled home Hector Rabago and Abraham Almonte to regain a 3-2 lead.
The Stone Crabs tied the game in the top of the ninth inning. Mike Sheridan and Mayo Acosta each drew a walk to get things going. Mark Thomas then drove home Sheridan to tie the game 3-3 and force extra innings.
The Stone Crabs pushed across two runs in the top of the eleventh inning. They loaded the bases following a walk by Sheridan, a single by Matt Hall and then an intentional walk to Thomas. Omar Luna drove home the go ahead run with a single to right that scored Sheridan. Ty Morrison plated an insurance run after being hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to give the Stone Crabs a 5-3 lead.
They kept Tampa off the board in the bottom of the eleventh to earn a 5-3 extra innings win.
Josh Satow was the winner and Deivis Mavarez picked up the save. Joaquin Hinojosa was the losing pitcher for Tampa.
Game three of the series takes place on Sunday afternoon at George M Steinbrenner Field. Jake Thompson will be on the hill against Brett Marshall for Tampa.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 1 for 6 with a double and an RBI.
- Ty Morrison (DH): 1 for 3 with a double and an RBI.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 1 for 5 with a walk.
- Anthony Scelfo (LF-RF): 0 for 4 with an RBI.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 0 for 3 with 2 walks and 2 runs scored.
- Mayo Acosta (C): 0 for 3.
- Matt Hall (LF): 1 for 1 with a run scored.
- Reid Fronk (RF): 1 for 3.
- Mark Thomas (PH-C): 1 for 1 with an RBI.
- Omar Luna (3B): 1 for 5 with an RBI.
- Dustin Biell (CF) 2 for 5 with a run scored.
- Juan Cruz: 1 shut-out inning with 2 hits and 2 strikeouts.
- Alex Koronis: 3 runs (1 earned) on 5 hits with 2 walks and 6 strikeouts in 6 innings.
- Josh Satow (Win, 4-4): 3 scoreless innings with 4 hits and 2 strikeouts.
- Deivis Mavarez (Save, 2): 1 no-hit inning with a walk.