The Stone Crabs gave up an early five run lead to send the game into extra inning where they would eventually lose to the Tampa Yankees. Four hours, fourteen inning and 11 combined pitchers later, it was the Stone Crabs losing 6-5.
The Stone Crabs jumped out in front in the top of the second inning. They loaded the bases following a walk to Anthony Scelfo, a single by Reid Fronk and Matt Hall reaching following being hit by a pitch. Hak-Ju Lee then drew a bases loaded walk to push across the first run of the inning. Ty Morrison following with a two run single that gave the Stone Crabs a 3-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added a run in the third inning. Mark Thomas double to center to put a runner in scoring position. He would then score on a double by Mike Sheridan to increase the lead to 4-0.
The Stone Crabs then pushed across another run in the fourth inning. Dustin Biell singled to right to lead off the inning. He later scored on sac fly by Tyler Bortnick to extend the lead to 5-0.
But that marked the end of the Stone Crabs offense and the start of the Tampa offense. The Yankees struck for three runs in the bottom of the fifth to pull closer. Mitch Abeita was hit by a pitch and Neil Medchill drew a walk to lead off the inning. Kelvin Castro drove home both runners with a triple to center. Castro then scored on a sac fly to pull them within two runs of the lead 5-3.
The Yankees closed the two run deficit in the seventh inning. Medchill drew a walk followed by double to left by Castro that put runners at second and third with no outs. Ronnier Mustelier plated both runs with a single to left that tied the game 5-5.
Both clubs would duel through six scoreless inning until another run would come.
Then in the bottom of the fourteenth inning, the Yankees struck for the winning run. Stone Crabs reliever Scott Shuman walked the bases loaded with no outs. Michael Solbach then delivered a bases loaded sac fly to right, scoring Castro and handing the Stone Crabs a 6-5 walk-off defeat.
Shuman was charged with the loss. Pinch-hitting third baseman Emerson Landoni was the winning pitcher for Tampa.
The series continues on Saturday night at George M Steinbrenner Field. Alex Koronis will start for the Stone Crabs against Jose Quintana for Tampa.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 1 for 4 with 2 walks and a run scored.
- Ty Morrison (CF): 1 for 6 with 2 RBI’s.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 0 for 3 with a walk and an RBI.
- Mark Thomas (C): 1 for 6 with a double and a run scored.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 1 for 7 with a double and an RBI.
- Anthony Scelfo (DH): 0 for 5 with 2 walks and a run scored.
- Reid Fronk (RF): 1 for 4 with 2 walks and a run scored.
- Matt Hall (3B): 1 for 5 with a run scored.
- Dustin Biell (LF): 2 for 6 with a run scored.
- Matt Stabelfeld: 2 runs on 3 hits with 6 strikeouts and a walk in 4 innings pitched.
- Deivis Mavarez: 3 runs on 4 hits with a strikeout and a walk in 2 innings.
- Adam Liberatore (Blown Save, 2): 3 hits in 3 innings with 3 strikeouts.
- Michael Jarman: 4 shut-out innings with 3 hits, 2 strikeouts and a walk.
- Scott Shuman (Loss, 0-4): 1 run on a hit and 3 walks without recording an out.