The Stone Crabs held off a late game rally to beat the Brevard County Manatees 3-2 in game one of Thursday night’s doubleheader at Charlotte Sports Park. The win helped put an end to the Stone Crabs current losing streak.
The Stone Crabs scored in the first inning without ever recording a base hit. Tyler Bortnick drew a walk to get things going. Bortnick then stole second and later third before scoring to make it 1-0 Stone Crabs.
Brevard County battled back to tie the game in the fourth inning. D’Vontrey tripled to right to lead off the inning. Chuck Caufield then drove home the runner with an RBI double to tie the game 1-1.
But the Stone Crabs regained the lead in the bottom of the fifth inning. Dustin Biell drew a walk to lead off the inning. Hak-Ju Lee then reached base on a fielder’s choice to put a second runner on the bases. Bortnick then drove home both runners with a single to right that gave them a 3-1 lead.
The Manatees tried to spark a rally in the top of the seventh. Scooter Gennett homered to left to get things started. But Josh Satow got the final outs to secure the 3-2 win for the Stone Crabs.
Kyle Lobstein was the winning pitcher for the Stone Crabs with Satow earning the save. Mark Rogers suffered the loss for Brevard County.
Game two of the doubleheader is to follow with CJ Riefenhauser facing off against Evan Anundsen.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 0 for 3 with a run scored.
- Ty Morrison (CF): 1 for 2.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 1 for 2 with a walk, 2 RBI’s and a run scored.
- Mark Thomas (DH): 0 for 2 with a walk.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 1 for 3.
- Anthony Scelfo (LF): 0 for 3.
- Matt Hall (3B): 0 for 2.
- Mayo Acosta (C): 0 for 3
- Dustin Biell (RF): 0 for 1 with a walk and a run scored.
- Kyle Lobstein (Win, 7-8): 1 run on 5 hits with 3 strikeouts and a walk in 5 1/3 innings.
- Josh Satow (Save, 10): 1 run on 2 hits with 2 strikeouts in 1 2/3 innings.