The Stone Crabs swept the doubleheader on Thursday with a walk-off win in game two. The Stone Crabs battled back to win 3-2, sweeping the twin bill and earning a series split.
The Stone Crabs took an early lead in the second inning. Omar Luna hit a ground-rule double to put a runner in scoring position. Reid Fronk plated the run with a single to left that scored Luna and gave the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
The lead was held in check until the top of the fifth when Brevard County struck for two runs. Shawn Zarraga provided an RBI single to score D’Vontrey Richardson to tie the game. Then Juan Sanchez was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to push the go-ahead run across the plate and give the Manatees a 2-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs battled back to tie the game in the bottom of the sixth inning. Tyler Bortnick was hit by a pitch to lead off the inning. Bortnick later scored on an RBI single by Anthony Scelfo to tie the game 2-2.
The Stone Crabs pushed the winning run across the plate in the home half of the seventh inning. Luna led off the inning with a single to right. Ty Morrison then singled home the winning run with an RBI single to left, scoring Luna and giving the Stone Crabs the 3-2 walk-off win.
Kirby Yates picked up the win for the Stone Crabs while Rolando Pasqual was charged for the loss for Brevard County.
The Stone Crabs now head to George Steinbrenner Field to open a four game series against the Tampa Yankees on Friday. Merrill Kelly starts the series opener against Austin Ross for Tampa.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 0 for 3.
- Ty Morrison (CF): 1 for 4 with an RBI.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 1 for 2 with a run scored.
- Mark Thomas (C): 1 for 3.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 0 for 3.
- Anthony Scelfo (LF): 2 for 2 with an RBI.
- Jake Jefferies (DH): 0 for 2.
- Omar Luna (3B): 2 for 3 with a double and 2 runs scored.
- Reid Fronk (RF): 2 for 2 with an RBI.
- CJ Riefenhauser: 2 runs on 3 hits with 6 strikeouts and 2 walks in 4 1/3 innings.
- Kirby Yates (Win, 1-0): 2 2/3 scoreless innings with a hit and 5 strikeouts.