The Stone Crabs celebrated Christmas in July on Saturday night and the Stone Crabs go their gift in the form of a go-ahead triple by Brett Nommensen in the bottom of the eighth. This late game rally helped the Stone Crabs beat the Dunedin Blue Jays 3-2.
The Stone Crabs took an early lead in the second inning. Mike Sheridan reached on a force out. Sheridan later scored on a single by Reid Fronk to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
The Blue Jays tied the game an inning later. Ivan Contreras singled to lead off the inning. He advanced to third on a ground out by AJ Jimenez and then later scored on a single by Kevin Ahrens to tie the game 1-1.
The game would remain tied until the bottom of the eighth inning. Ty Morrison reached on a bunt single with two outs to get the rally started. Brett Nommensen then plated the go-ahead run with an RBI triple to right. Nommensen later scored on a single by Mark Thomas to give the Stone Crabs a 3-1 lead.
Dunedin tried to mount a rally in the ninth. Sean Ochinko and Brad Glenn each drew walks to lead off the inning. Ochinko scored on an RBI single by Ryan Goins. But Josh Satow stranded the tying run at third and the Stone Crabs celebrated a 3-2 win.
CJ Riefenhauser allowed just one run in his FSL debut but left the game with a no-decision. Adam Liberatore picked up the win and Josh Satow earned the save. Steve Turnbull was the losing pitcher for Dunedin.
The series concludes on Sunday evening at Charlotte Sports Park. Merrill Kelly will start the finale against Asher Wojciechowski for Dunedin.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 1 for 4.
- Ty Morrison (CF): 1 for 4 with a run scored.
- Brett Nommensen (DH): 2 for 4 with a triple, RBI and a run scored.
- Mark Thomas (C): 1 for 4.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 1 for 4.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 0 for 3 with a run scored.
- Matt Hall (3B): 0 for 2.
- Reid Fronk (RF): 1 for 2.
- Omar Luna (LF): 0 for 3.
- CJ Riefenhauser: 1 run on 4 hits with 3 strikeouts and a walk in 5 innings.
- Adam Liberatore (Win, 5-1): 1 run on 3 walks with 3 strikeouts in 3 hitless innings.
- Josh Satow (Save, 9): no runs on a hit with a strikeout in 1 inning.