For the second night in a row, the Stone Crabs and Dunedin Blue Jays battled it out in a close game on Friday night at Charlotte Sports Park. The Stone Crabs late game rally fell short as they lost 3-2.
Dunedin broke the scoreless tie in the fifth inning. Ryan Goins singled to center to lead off the inning. Goins later scored on an RBI double by Brad McElroy to give them a 1-0 lead.
The Blue Jays added two more runs in the sixth inning. Sean Ochinko got things started with a solo homer to left. Brian Van Kirk then drew a walk and moved into scoring position following a double by Kevin Nolan. Van Kirk scored on a wild pitch to increase the lead to 3-0.
The Stone Crabs orchestrated a rally in the eighth inning. Omar Luna drew a walk. Hak-Ju Lee later reached on a force out, putting runners on the corners with two outs. Brett Nommensen singled home the Stone Crabs first run of the night with a fly ball to right, scoring Luna. Tyler Bortnick then doubled to right, scoring Lee. Nommensen was waved home and was tagged out at the plate, ending the inning and the rally on run short.
The Stone Crabs failed to make up that run in the ninth and fell 3-2.
Kyle Lobstein suffered the loss for the Stone Crabs. Deck McGuire picked up the win.
Two Stone Crabs had to lead Friday’s game due to injury. Anthony Scelfo dove head first into the left field wall on the first play of the game, resulting in a laceration to the head that required stitches. Then in the eighth, Nommensen went down hard on the slide into home which left him dazed after the play. Both players were removed from the game and are day to day.
The series resumes on Saturday night at Charlotte Sports Park. CJ Riefenhauser will make his Stone Crabs debut against Drew Hutchison for Dunedin.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 0 for 4 with a run scored.
- Brett Nommensen (RF): 1 for 3 with an RBI.
- Matt Hall (3B): 0 for 0.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 1 for 3 with a double and an RBI.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 0 for 4.
- Anthony Scelfo (LF): 0 for 0.
- Ty Morrison (CF): 2 for 4 with a double.
- Jake Jefferies (C): 1 for 4 with a double.
- Omar Luna (3B-LF): 0 for 3 with a walk and a run scored.
- Reid Fronk (DH): 1 for 3.
- Dustin Biell (CF-LF-RF): 1 for 3 with a double.
- Kyle Lobstein (Loss, 6-8): 3 runs on 8 hits with 3 walks and a strikeout.
- Kirby Yates: 1 2/3 scoreless innings with 4 strikeouts and 2 walks.
- Deivis Mavarez: 2 no hit innings.