After picking up their tenth shut-out of the season last night, the Stone Crabs found themselves on the losing side of a shut-out as they fell to the Lakeland Flying Tigers by the score of 11-0 in the series finale on Wednesday night.
Lakeland took the lead in the first inning. Tony Plagman singled to center followed by a walk to Jordan Lennerton. Wade Gaynor reached on an error to load the bases. A line drive by Avisail Garcia pushed across two runs and gave them a 2-0 lead.
Lakeland struck for two more runs in the third inning. Brent Wyatt doubled to center to lead off the inning. Plagman later followed with a walk. Both runners scored on a doubly by Lennerton to increase the lead to 4-0.
Things got ugly for the Stone Crabs in the seventh inning as Lakeland tagged Matt Stabelfeld for five runs. Daniel Fields led off the inning with a walk. Then Eric Roof connected for a two run homer to clear the bases. But the bases would not remain empty long as Wyatt drew a walk, William Bergolla singled to center and then Lennerton drew a walk to reload the bases. Gaynor plated all three runners with a double to center, giving them a 9-0 lead.
But the Lakeland offense was not done yet as they pushed across two more runs in the eighth . With Wyatt on first, Plagman went deep to right, giving the Flying Tigers the 11-0 margin of victory.
Alex Koronis suffered the loss, falling to 7-5 on the season. Drew Smyly was the winner for Lakeland.
The Stone Crabs return home to Charlotte Sports Park to kick off a four game series against the Dunedin Blue Jays. Jake Thompson will start the opener against Nestor Molina for Dunedin.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 2 for 4.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 1 for 4.
- Brett Nommensen (RF): 0 for 4.
- Mark Thomas (C): 0 for 3.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 1 for 4 with a double.
- Omar Luna (LF): 0 for 1
- Anthony Scelfo (LF-P): 0 for 1.
- Ty Morrison (CF): 2 for 3.
- Mayo Acosta (DH): 0 for 3.
- Dustin Biell (LF): 0 for 1.
- Matt Hall (3B): 0 for 4.
- Alex Koronis (Loss, 7-5): 4 runs (2 earned) on 4 hits with 7 strikeouts and 2 walks in 5 innings.
- Matt Stabelfeld: 5 runs on 4 hits and 3 walks with 3 strikeouts in 1 1/3 innings.
- Scott Shuman: 2/3 no-hit inning with a strikeout and a walk.
- Anthony Scelfo: 2 runs on 1 hit with a walk in 1 inning.