The Stone Crabs swept the Jupiter Hammerheads following a 4-3 win in the series finale on Friday night at Roger Dean Stadium. The Stone Crabs held off a late game rally by the Hammerheads to hand them their twelfth straight loss.
The Stone Crabs took the lead in the first inning. Hak-Ju Lee singled to right to lead off the game. Lee advanced to second on a sac bunt by Ty Morrison and then to third on a passed ball. Tyler Bortnick plated the run with a ground ball to second, scoring Lee and giving the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added another run in the second. Matt Hall doubled to left to put a runner in scoring position. Hall would later score on an RBI single by Lee to increase the lead to 2-0.
The game stayed relatively quiet until the seventh inning when the Stone Crabs struck for another run. Morrison reached on an error to get things going. He advanced to third on a wild pitch and later scored on a single by Mike Sheridan to give them a 3-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added yet another run in the eighth. Bortnick reached on an error. He then moved through the bases, advancing to second on a sac bunt by Anthony Scelfo and to third on a wild pitch. Mark Thomas drove him home with a sac fly to center that gave the Stone Crabs a 4-0 lead.
Jupiter reached the scoreboard in the bottom of the eighth inning as they loaded the bases without even recording a hit. Jeff Dominguez was hit by a pitch, Ernesto Manzanillo drew a walk and Taylor Krick was struck by a pitch to load the bases. Then a throwing error by Thomas on a pick-off attempt allowed Dominguez to score for the Hammerheads first run of the game.
Walks put the Stone Crabs in a jam again in the ninth inning as the Hammerheads reloaded this bases. This time it was Sharif Othman drawing a walk, Jose Duarte hitting a single to right and a walk to Dallas Poulk that loaded the bases. Scott Shuman then issued back to back bases loaded walks to put the Hammerheads within a run of the lead. But Jim Morrison made the call to the bullpen and Mike Jarman entered the game and retired the next two hitters to end the rally and secure a 4-3 victory for the Stone Crabs.
Alex Colome improved to 6-5 on the season with the win. Mike Jarman recorded the save. Kyle Kaminska suffered the loss for Jupiter.
The Stone Crabs continue their road trip by heading to Hammond Stadium for a quick two game series against the Fort Myers Miracle. Kyle Lobstein will start Saturday’s game against Pat Dean for Fort Myers.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 3 for 5 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Ty Morrison (CF): 1 for 4 with a run scored.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 3 for 5 with an RBI.
- Jake Jefferies (DH): 0 for 4.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 0 for 5 with an RBI.
- Anthony Scelfo (LF): 1 for 3.
- Mark Thomas (C): 0 for 3 with an RBI.
- Matt Hall (3B): 3 for 4 with a double and a run scored.
- Dustin Biell (RF): 0 for 4.
- Alex Colome (Win, 6-5): 6 shut-out innings with 3 strikeouts and 3 walks.
- Deivis Mavarez (Hold, 3): allowed 1 unearned run with 2 strikeouts and 1 walk in 2 no-hit innings.
- Scott Shuman (Hold, 3): 2 runs on 1 hit and 4 walks in 1/3 inning.
- Mike Jarman (Save, 4): 2/3 no-hit inning.