The Stone Crabs overcame an early deficit to defeat the Jupiter Hammerheads 3-1 on Wednesday night at Roger Dean Stadium. Dustin Biell drove home two runs in the fifth inning to put the Stone Crabs out in front and hand Jupiter their tenth straight loss.
Jupiter took the lead in the first inning. Dallas Poulk led off the inning with a walk. Danny Pertusati drove home Poulk with a double to left that gave the Hammerheads a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs reached the scoreboard in the fifth inning. Ty Morrison reached on a force out followed by a double by Matt Hall to put two runners in scoring position. Biell then singled home both runner with a line drive to right to give the Stone Crabs a 2-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs added an insurance run in the sixth inning. Reid Fronk doubled to right to put a runner in scoring position. Tyler Bortnick advanced Fronk to third with a single. Fronk then scored on a sac fly to give the Stone Crabs the 3-1 margin of victory.
Starter Alex Koronis got help from Adam Liberatore and Scott Shuman out of the pen to ensure the 3-1 win.
Koronis picked up the win and improved to 6-3 on the season while Shuman earned his second save of the year. Rob Rasmussen suffered the loss for Jupiter.
The series continues on Thursday afternoon at Roger Dean Stadium. Jake Thompson will man the mound against Chad James for Jupiter.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 2 for 5 with a triple.
- Omar Luna (LF): 0 for 4.
- Reid Fronk (RF): 1 for 4 with a double and a run scored.
- Mark Thomas (C): 0 for 3.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 1 for 4.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 1 for 3.
- Ty Morrison (DH): 2 for 3 with a run scored.
- Matt Hall: 1 for 4 with a double and a run scored.
- Dustin Biell: 2 for 4 with 2 RBI’s.
- Alex Koronis (Win, 6-3): 1 run on 4 hits with 4 strikeouts and 2 walks in 6 innings.
- Adam Liberatore (Hold, 4): no runs on 3 hits with 2 strikeouts in 2 innings.
- Scott Shuman (Save, 2): struck out the side in the ninth.