The Stone Crabs fell to 0-2 on the second half after losing to the Palm Beach Cardinals by the score of 10-4 on Friday night at Charlotte Sports Park.
Palm Beach took the lead in the first inning. Alan Ahmady singled to left field followed by a double by Xavier Scruggs. Rainel Rosario drove home both runners with a single to center that gave them a 2-0 lead.
The Cardinals added another run in the third. Ahmady doubled to center and then later scored on a sac fly by Scruggs to increase the lead to 3-0.
Then an inning later Palm Beach pushed across another run. Adam Melker doubled to center to lead off the inning. He advanced to third on a single by Niko Vasquez. Ted Obregon drove home the run with a line drive to second that gave them a 4-0 lead.
Palm Beach struck for two more runs in the sixth. They opened the inning with back to back walks to Patrick Elkins and Adam Melker. Both runners advanced a base on a balk. Vasquez then drove home the first run with a sac fly to right that score Elkins. Melker later score on a wild pitch to give them a 6-0 lead.
The Cardinals offense continued to pound out the runs as they pushed across three more in the seventh after loading the base. Elkins drove home the first run of the inning. Then Melker drove home two more with a single to center giving the Cardinals a commanding 9-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs finally reached the scoreboard in the seventh inning. Mike Sheridan doubled to center to lead off the inning. Sheridan advanced to third on a ground ball by Jake Jefferies. Matt Hall drove home the Stone Crabs first run with a single to left. Reid Fronk later plated Jefferies to give the Stone Crabs another run on the scoreboard.
But the Cardinals offense wasn’t finished as they delivered one more run in the top of the ninth. Vasquez singled home Rosario to increase the lead to 10-2.
The Stone Crabs pushed across two more runs in the ninth. Jefferies reached on an error to lead off the inning. Hall followed with a single to center, moving Jefferies to second. Then Ty Morrison hit an RBI double to right, scoring Jefferies and moving Hall to third. Hall later scored on a ground out by Fronk. But that was it for the Stone Crabs run production as they suffered the 10-4 loss.
Alex Koronis was charged with the loss. Jordan Swagerty was the winning pitcher for Palm Beach.
The Stone Crabs look to avoid the sweep in the series finale on Saturday night at Charlotte Sports Park. Jake Thompson will start for the Stone Crabs opposing Kevin Siegrist for Palm Beach.
- Reid Fronk (RF): 2 for 5 with 2 RBI’s.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 1 for 5.
- Anthony Scelfo (LF): 0 for 5.
- Greg Sexton (3B): 3 for 4.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 3 for 4 with a double.
- Mark Thomas (DH): 0 for 2.
- Jake Jefferies (C): 0 for 4 with 2 runs scored.
- Matt Hall (SS): 2 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Ty Morrison (CF): 1 for 4 with a double and an RBI.
- Alex Koronis (Loss, 5-3): 4 runs (3 earned) on 7 hits with a strikeout in 3 innings.
- Matt Stabelfeld: allowed 2 runs on 2 hits with 2 walks and 2 strikeouts in 3 innings.
- Deivis Mavarez: 3 unearned runs on 3 hits with a walk in an inning.
- Josh Satow: pitched a no-hit inning with a walk.
- Scott Shuman: allowed a run on 1 hit with a walk and 2 strikeouts in 1 inning.