The Stone Crabs gave up an early lead to lose to the St. Lucie Mets 7-5 on Wednesday night at Charlotte Sports Park. The loss wrapped up the first half of the season with the Stone Crabs finishing 30-39 on the half.
The Stone Crabs took an early lead in the first inning. Hak-Ju Lee led off the inning with a double followed by a single by Tyler Bortnick. Bortnick was later caught stealing to be erased from the basepath. Greg Sexton drove home a run with a single to score Lee. Anthony Scelfo then drew a walk followed by a single by Mike Sheridan to load the bases. Mark Thomas drove home two run with a single to left to give the Stone Crabs a 3-0 lead.
The lead held until the top of the sixth when St. Lucie struck for five runs in the inning. They quickly loaded the bases with three consecutive singles to open the inning. Juan Lagares then struck a two run single to score Dock Doyle and Pedro Zapata. Jefry Marte drew a walk to put another runner aboard. Wilmer Flores drove home two more runs with a double to right to score Robbie Shields and Lagares. Marte would later score on a ground ball by Cesar Puello to give the Mets a 5-3 lead.
The Stone Crabs added a run in the bottom of the sixth. Sheridan reached on a single to left. He then made it around to score on a sac fly by Jake Jefferies to pull within one run of the lead 5-4.
St. Lucie posted some insurance in the top of the ninth. Lagares delivered a two run double to score Rylan Sandoval and Doyle to increase the lead to 7-4.
The Stone Crabs posted one more run in the home half of the ninth. Ty Morrison doubled to right to lead off the inning. He later scored on a single by Brett Nommensen. But the Stone Crabs could not produce any more runs and fell to the Mets 7-5.
Kyle Lobstein was charged with the loss. Kyle Allen was the winning pitcher for St. Lucie.
With the first half in the books, the Stone Crabs kick off the second half against the Palm Beach Cardinals at Charlotte Sports Park on Thursday. Merrill Kelly gets the start against Joe Kelly for Palm Beach.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 1 for 5 with a double and a run scored.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 2 for 5.
- Brett Nommensen (RF): 2 for 5 with an RBI.
- Greg Sexton (3B): 1 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Anthony Scelfo (LF): 0 for 2 with 2 walks and a run scored.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 2 for 4 with a run scored.
- Mark Thomas (C): 1 for 4 with 2 RBI’s.
- Jake Jefferies (DH): 0 for 3 with an RBI.
- Ty Morrison (CF): 1 for 4 with a double and a run scored.
- Kyle Lobstein (Loss, 6-3): 5 runs on 8 hits with 2 strikeouts and 2 walks in 5 innings.
- Mike Jarman: 2 scoreless innings with 2 strikeouts and 2 walks.
- Scott Shuman: 2 runs on 1 hit, 2 walks and 4 strikeouts in 2 innings.