The Stone Crabs fought back to tie the game and force extra innings but lost to the St. Lucie Mets 3-2 in the 11th inning on Monday night at Digital Domain Park. With the win, the Mets clinched the division first half title.
St. Lucie took the lead in the first inning. Matt Den Dekker reached base on a walk. He would later score on an RBI single by Jefry Marte to give them a 1-0 lead.
The Mets scored again in the fifth. Robbie Shields singled to left to put a runner on the bases. Shields then scored on an RBI single to center by Francisco Pena to increase the lead to 2-0.
The Stone Crabs reached the scoreboard in the sixth inning. Greg Sexton doubled to right and then score on an RBI single by Anthony Scelfo to cut the lead in half 2-1.
The Stone Crabs tied the game an inning later. Mark Thomas led off the inning with a walk. He advanced to second on single by Ty Morrison. Hak-Ju Lee reached on an error to load the bases for the Stone Crabs. Tyler Bortnick drove home the tying run with a sac fly to left, scoring Thomas to tie the game 2-2.
The game would remained tied 2-2 through the end of regulation and into extra innings. It wasn’t until the bottom of the eleventh inning before another run would cross the plate. Travis Ozga drew a walk and then scored the winning run on a double Cesar Puello to give the Mets a 3-2 walk-off win.
Matt Stabelfeld surrendered his first earned run in the FSL and took the loss. Jeff Kaplan was the winning pitcher for St. Lucie.
The series continues on Tuesday morning at Digital Domain Park. Alex Colome will make the start against Darin Gorski.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 0 for 5.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 1 for 4 with an RBI.
- Brett Nommensen (RF): 0 for 3 with 2 walks.
- Greg Sexton (3B): 1 for 4 with a double and a run scored.
- Anthony Scelfo (LF): 2 for 4 with a double and an RBI.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 0 for 5.
- Mark Thomas (C): 0 for 3 with 2 walks and a run scored.
- Jake Jefferies (DH): 0 for 5.
- Ty Morrison (CF): 3 for 5.
- Jake Thompson: 2 runs (1 earned) on 7 hits with a strikeout and 2 walks in 7 innings.
- Adam Liberatore: 3 shut-out innings with 4 hit and a strikeout.
- Matt Stabelfeld: 1 run on 1 hit with a walk in 2/3 inning.