The Stone Crabs head into the All-Star Break on a high note by sweeping the Bradenton Marauders following a 10-1 win on Thursday Night at Charlotte Sports Park. The offense was highlighted by a grand slam by Tyler Bortnick in the eighth inning. Every hitter in the Stone Crabs lineup recorded a hit and scored a run in the contest.
The Stone Crabs jumped out to a four run lead in the bottom of the second inning. Greg Sexton, Anthony Scelfo and Mike Sheridan all singled to lead off the inning and load the bases. Jake Jefferies plated two runs with a line drive to right. Then Matt Hall drove home Sheridan with a single to center. Hak-Ju Lee singled home Jefferies to give the Stone Crabs a 4-0 lead.
Bradenton got on the scoreboard in the third. David Rubinstein led off the inning with a single followed by a double by Benji Gonzalez. Robbie Grossman then drew a walk to load the bases. Jarek Cunningham drove home Rubinstein with a sac fly. But the Stone Crabs rallied to strand the remaining runners and limit the Marauders to just one run in the inning.
The Stone Crabs added another run to their total in the fourth inning. Hall led off the inning with a single to up the middle. Hall advanced to second on a passed ball. Dustin Biell followed with a walk to put runners at first and second. Lee advanced the runners with a sac bunt followed by a walk to Tyler Bortnick that loaded the bases once again for the Stone Crabs. Brett Nommensen picked up an RBI the hard way after being hit by a pitch. The Stone Crabs left the bases loaded but increased the lead to 5-1.
The Stone Crabs posted a big eighth inning to increase the lead even further. They worked to load the bases once again, this time on a singles by Jefferies, Biell and Lee. But the bases would not stay loaded long as Bortnick cleared then with his third home run of the season, a grand slam over the left field wall. The Stone Crabs would get an additional run in the inning off courtesy of Anthony Scelfo driving home Brett Nommensen to cap off the five run inning and lead them to a 10-1 win over the Marauders.
Alex Koronis picked up the win for the Stone Crabs while Jason Erickson was charged with the loss for Bradenton.
The Stone Crabs will enjoy a few days off for the All-Star Break. They will resume play on Monday against the St. Lucie Mets on the road.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 2 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 1 for 3 with a grand slam and two walks.
- Brett Nommensen (RF): 1 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Greg Sexton (3B): 2 for 4 with a run scored.
- Anthony Scelfo (DH): 1 for 5 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 1 for 5 with a run scored.
- Jake Jefferies (C): 2 for 4 with 2 RBI’s and 2 runs scored.
- Matt Hall (LF): 2 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Dustin Biell (CF): 1 for 3 with a walk and a run scored.
- Alex Koronis (Win, 5-2): 1 run on 4 hits with 3 strikeouts and a walk in 5 innings.
- Mike Jarman: 2 no-hit innings with 3 strikeouts and a walk.
- Scott Shuman: 2 no-hit innings with 5 strikeouts and 2 walks.