The Stone Crabs rallied to beat the St. Lucie Mets 9-3, winning the series. The Stone Crabs used a sixth run sixth inning to help Kyle Lobstein pick up his fifth win in a row.
The Stone Crabs took the lead in the first inning. Tyler Bortnick reached on a force out. Brett Nommensen followed with a single to move Bortnick to second. Bortnick would then score on an RBI single by Anthony Scelfo to put the Stone Crabs out front 1-0.
But St. Lucie bounced back to tied the game in the bottom of the first. Matt Den Dekker singled, Juan Lagares reached on a fielders choice to put runners on the bases. Both runners advanced on a wild pitch. Den Dekker later scored on a ground out by Jefry Marte to tie the game.
St. Lucie took the lead in the third. Pedro Zapata drew a walk with one out. Then Den Dekker cleared the bases with a two run homer to put the Mets ahead 3-1.
The Stone Crabs battled back to tie the game once again in the fifth inning. Hak-Ju Lee singled to left followed by a single to left by Bortnick. Nommensen drove home the first run of the inning with a single to right that scored Lee. Bortnick then scored on a passed ball to tie the game 3-3.
Then the Stone Crabs struck for six runs in the sixth inning to take the lead for good. They led off the inning with back to back hits, a single by Mike Sheridan followed by a double by Mark Thomas. Dustin Biell reached on an error that scored Sheridan. Then Lee bunted home Thomas for the second run. Bortnick reached on error to load the bases for the Stone Crabs. Nommensen knocked home a run with a ground out and then Sexton walked to reload the bases. Scelfo plated three more runs with a triple to center that gave the Stone Crabs a 9-3 lead.
The Stone Crabs would not surrender another run as they won the game 9-3 and took a series win, their first of the season against St. Lucie.
The Stone Crabs head to Roger Dean Stadium on Saturday for a three game series against the Palm Beach Cardinal. Alex Colome will start for the Stone Crabs against Jordan Swagert for Palm Beach.
- Hak-Je Lee (SS): 3 for 5 with an RBI and 2 runs scored.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 2 for 5 with 3 runs scored.
- Brett Nommensen (RF): 2 for 5 with 2 RBI’s.
- Greg Sexton (3B): 0 for 4 with a walk and a run scored.
- Anthony Scelfo (LF): 3 for 5 with a triple and 4 RBI’s.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 3 for 5 with a run scored.
- Mark Thomas (C): 2 for 5 with a double and a run scored.
- Jake Jefferies (DH): 0 for 5.
- Dustin Biell (CF): 0 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Kyle Lobstein (Win, 5-2): 3 runs on 6 hits with 3 strikeouts and 2 walks in 6 innings.
- Adam Liberatore (Save, 1): 3 scoreless innings with 4 strikeouts and 2 walks.