The Stone Crabs returned the favor of Wednesday’s loss by defeating the Daytona Cubs 10-1 on Thursday night at Charlotte Sports Park. Starter Alex Koronis pitched six shut-out innings while the offense posted ten runs to ensure the victory.
The Stone Crabs took the lead in the first inning. Hak-Ju Lee drew a walk to lead off the inning. Tyler Bortnick followed with a single. Brett Nommensen then drew a walk to load the bases. Mike Sheridan drove home two runs with a single to right that gave the Stone Crabs a 2-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added to their lead in the third inning by loading the bases once again. Bortnick reached base after being hit by a pitch. Nommensen singled to right and then Greg Sexton drew a walk to load them up. Sheridan reached on an error on a force attempt, scoring Bortnick and Nommensen. Sexton then scored on a ground out by Anthony Scelfo to increase the lead to 5-0.
The Stone Crabs posted a five run sixth inning thanks in part by walks and two wild pitches. Scelfo, Mayo Acosta and Lee all drew walks to load the bases once again. A bases loaded walk to Bortnick scored Scelfo. Acosta then scored on a wild pitch. But a walk to Nommensen loaded the bases back up. Sexton doubled home two runs with a shot to right that scored Lee and Bortnick. Nommensen scored on a single by Mike Sheridan to give the Stone Crabs a commanding 10-0 lead.
Daytona scored their only run of the game in the seventh inning. A single by Justin Bour, walk to Michael Burgess and a single to Jake Opitz loaded the bases. Chad Noble picked up the RBI after being hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to score Bour.
But the Stone Crabs closed the door and did not allow another run the remainder of the game as they walked away with a 10-1 victory.
Koronis was the winning pitcher for the Stone Crabs. Aaron Kurcz suffered the loss for Daytona.
The series concludes on Friday night at Charlotte Sports Park. Rays starter Jeff Niemann will make a rehab start for the Stone Crabs against Brett Ebinger for Daytona.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 0 for 3 with 2 walks and 2 runs scored.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 2 for 3 with an RBI and 3 runs scored.
- Brett Nommensen (RF): 2 for 3 with 2 runs scored.
- Greg Sexton (3B): 1 for 4 with a double, 2 RBI’s and a run scored.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 2 for 5 with 3 RBI’s.
- Anthony Scelfo (LF): 0 for 3 with an RBI, walk and a run scored.
- Mayo Acosta (C): 0 for 3 with a walk and a run scored.
- Jake Jefferies (DH): 0 for 4.
- Dustin Biell (CF): 0 for 2 with 2 walks.
- Alex Koronis (Win, 4-1): 6 shut-out innings allowing 2 hits while striking out 6 and walking 2.
- Sergio Espinosa: 1 run on 3 hits with 2 strikeouts and a walk.
- Josh Satow: 1 scoreless inning allowing a hit and recording a strikeout.