The offense came to life and backed starter Alex Colome’s dazzling mound performance as the Stone Crabs shut-out the red-hot Daytona Cubs 7-0 on Tuesday night at Charlotte Sports Park. Colome pitched 7 shut-out innings allowing just 3 hits while the bullpen combination of Matt Stabelfeld and Mike Jarman pitched perfect relief to snap the Cubs 12 game winning streak.
The Stone Crabs jumped out to a big lead in the bottom of the fifth, breaking the scoreless tie. They strung together four consecutive hits to start the inning. Anthony Scelfo and Mark Thomas each plated singles to get things going. Then Mayo Acosta delivered an RBI single to score Scelfo. Dustin Biell followed with a single that loaded the bases. Thomas later scored on a errant pick-off. Hak-Ju Lee was the first out of the inning as he grounded out to second, but Acosta scored on the play and Biell moved into scoring position.
After the Cubs went to the bullpen with two outs in the fifth, the Stone Crabs offense picked up right where they left off but this time raising the bar from singles to doubles. Brett Nommensen doubled home Biell. Then Nommensen scored on an RBI double by Greg Sexton that gave the Stone Crabs a 5-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs grabbed two more runs in the seventh. Lee tripled to left to get things going. Then Tyler Bortnick and Nommensen walked to loaded the bases. Sexton drew a bases loaded walk to score Lee. Bortnick scored on a sac fly by Mike Sheridan to earn a 7-0 win.
Colome recorded the win while Dae-Eun Rhee suffered the loss.
The series resumes on Wednesday as Drew Leary faces Jeff Lorrick.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 1 for 5 with a triple, RBI and a run scored.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B):0 for 3 with a walk and a run scored.
- Brett Nommensen (RF): 1 for 3 with a double, RBI and a run scored.
- Greg Sexton (3B): 1 for 3 with a double and 2 RBI’s.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 0 for 3 with an RBI.
- Anthony Scelfo (LF): 1 for 2 with a run scored.
- Mark Thomas (C): 1 for 4 with a run scored.
- Mayo Acosta (DH): 1 for 3 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Dustin Biell (CF): 1 for 3 with a run scored.
- Alex Colome (Win, 2-4): 7 shut-out innings with 3 hits, 3 walks and 5 strikeouts.
- Matt Stabelfeld: perfect frame with one strikeout.
- Mike Jarman: perfect ninth inning with a strikeout.