Nine innings wasn’t enough in Sunday’s series finale as the Stone Crabs lost to the Tampa Yankees 5-3 at Charlotte Sports Park. The Stone Crabs scored two runs in the bottom of the ninth to force extra innings where they ended up losing in the tenth inning.
The Stone Crabs took the lead early in the first inning. Anthony Scelfo and Brett Nommensen delivered back to back hits to get things going. Then Greg Sexton drove home the run with a single to right that score Scelfo to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
Tampa wasted no time in tying the game, pushing across a run of their own an inning later. Neil Medchill drew a walk with one out to put a runner on the bases. He then scored on a single by Mitch Abeita to tie the game 1-1.
The Yankees took the lead in the top of the fourth on a solo home run by Luke Murton.
Tampa posted another run in the top of the ninth inning. Emerson Landoni hit a double to right that bounced over the wall for a ground-rule double. He then advanced to third on a ground out by Abraham Almonte and then later scored on a wild pitch to increase the lead to 3-1.
The Stone Crabs rallied in the home half of the ninth to tie the game. Sexton and Mike Sheridan led off the inning with back to back double with Sexton scoring on the second one. Sheridan later scored on an RBI single by Matt Hall to tie the game 3-3 and force extra innings.
But extra innings did not last long as the T-Yanks pushed across two runs in the top of the tenth. Aolio Almonte drew a walk. Then Murton cleared the bases with his second home run of the day, a two run shot to left that gave the Yankees a 5-3 lead.
That was all that was needed as the Stone Crabs could not push across a run in the bottom of the tenth and took the 5-3 loss.
Scott Shuman was charged with the loss. Ryan Flannery was the winning pitcher for Tampa.
The Stone Crabs are off on Memorial Day before beginning a four game series against the Daytona Cubs on Tuesday at Charlotte Sports Park. Alex Colome will start the opener against Dae-Eun Rhee for Daytona.
- Hak-Ju Lee (DH): 0 for 5.
- Anthony Scelfo (2B): 2 for 5 with a run scored.
- Brett Nommensen (RF): 1 for 3 with 2 walks.
- Greg Sexton (3B): 2 for 3 with a double, an RBI and a run scored.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 1 for 4 with a double, RBI and run scored.
- Mark Thomas (C): 2 for 3 with a double.
- Matt Hall (SS): 2 for 3 with an RBI.
- Dustin Biell (CF): 0 for 4.
- Lucas Montero (LF): 0 for 4.
- Kyle Lobstein: 2 runs on 5 hits with 5 strikeouts and 2 walks in 7 innings.
- Matt Stabelfeld: no runs on 1 hit with a walk in 1 inning.
- Scott Shuman (Loss, 0-3): 3 runs on 2 hits with a walk and 3 strikeouts in 2 innings.