The Stone Crabs fell to the Tampa Yankees 4-2 on Saturday night at Charlotte Sports Park. Despite four perfect innings of relief from Sergio Espinosa, the Stone Crabs were unable to close the gap from the early four run deficit.
After a one hour delayed start, Tampa wasted no time in taking the lead. Abraham Almonte singled in the opening at bat. He then stole second and advanced to third on a grounder by Robert Lyerly. Zoilo Almonte drove home the runner with a single to right, giving them a 1-0 lead.
The Yankees added three more in the third on a bases loaded triple by Zoilo Almonte to increase the lead to 4-0.
It took until the seventh inning for the Stone Crabs to reach the scoreboard. Greg Sexton singled to left followed by walks to Jake Jefferies and Mayo Acosta to load the bases. Dustin Biell plated the first run of the inning on an RBI single to center. The second run came on a passed ball that allowed Jefferies to score. But the Stone Crabs stranded the last two runners in scoring position and could not cross another run in the final two frames as they took a 4-2 loss.
Merrill Kelly suffered the loss. Scottie Allen picked up the win while Ryan Flannery earned the save.
The series concludes on Sunday afternoon at Charlotte Sports Park. Kyle Lobstein will be on the hill for the Stone Crabs against Brett Marshall for Tampa.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 0 for 4.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 0 for 4.
- Brett Nommensen (RF): 1 for 4 with a double.
- Greg Sexton (3B): 2 for 4 with a double.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 0 for 4.
- Jake Jefferies (DH): 0 for 3 with a walk and a run scored.
- Mayo Acosta (C): 1 for 3.
- Dustin Biell (LF): 1 for 3 with an RBI.
- Lucas Montero (CF): 0 for 2 with a walk.
- Merrill Kelly (Loss, 2-2): 4 runs (3 earned) on 5 hits with 3 strikeouts and 3 walks in 5 innings.
- Sergio Espinosa: 4 no-hit innings with 3 strikeouts.