The Stone Crabs could not contain the offense of the Tampa Yankees as they fell 12-2 in the series opener on Thursday night at Charlotte Sports Park. Starter Drew Leary was tagged for six runs. The only Stone Crab pitcher that did not offer up a run to the T-Yanks was catcher Jake Jefferies who pitched a no-hit ninth frame.
Tampa took the lead right from the start, scoring two runs in the first inning. Abraham Almonte reached on an error to lead off the inning. He then scored on an RBI single by Robert Lyerly. Lyerly scored on an RBI double by Kevin Mahoney to give the Yankees a 2-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs cut the lead in half in the bottom of the second inning. Mike Sheridan singled to lead off the inning. He later scored on a two out double by Chris Murrill to cut the lead in half 2-1.
Tampa then pushed across four runs in the fifth inning to distance themselves from the Stone Crabs. Kelvin Castro led off with a single followed by a double by Deangelo Mack. Almonte then drew a walk to load the bases. Walter Ibarra plated the first run of the inning with a sac fly to score Castro. Two more runs crossed the plate on an RBI double by Lyerly. Lyerly would later score on an RBI single by Kevin Mahoney to increase the lead to 6-1.
The Yankees posted another four run inning in the seventh to increase the lead further. In the inning they used five base hits, three of them doubles to extend the lead to 10-1. Ibarra, Mahoney and Mitch Abeita each had a two base hit in the inning while Luke Murton, Mahoney and Abeita picked up the RBI’s.
The Yankees capitalized on four walks in the eighth inning to push across two more runs in the eighth. Zoilo Almonte and Ibarra each drew walks to lead off the inning. Murton then struck a ground rule double to score Almonte and move Ibarra to third. A walk to Abeita loaded the bases. Scott Shuman then issued a bases loaded walk to Taylor Grote to push across another run to increase the lead to 12-1.
The Stone Crabs picked up an additional run in the eighth inning on a solo home run by Brett Nommensen, his third of the year. But it was not enough as the Stone Crabs fell 12-2.
Drew Leary was charged with the loss and is now 0-4 on the year. Sean Black was the winning pitcher for Tampa.
The series continues on Friday at Charlotte Sports Park as Alex Koronis will face Josh Romanski.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 1 for 4.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 0 for 4.
- Brett Nommensen (RF):2 for 3 with a double and a home run.
- Greg Sexton (3B): 0 for 4.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 2 for 4 with a double and a run scored.
- Anthony Scelfo (LF): 0 for 4.
- Mark Thomas (C): 1 for 4 with a double.
- Chris Murrill (DH): 1 for 3 with a double.
- Dustin Biell (CF): 0 for 3.
- Drew Leary (Loss, 0-4): 6 runs (4 earned) on 8 hits with 4 strikeouts and a walk in 5 innings.
- Mike Jarman: allowed 4 runs on 6 hits with 2 strikeouts and a walk in 2 innings.
- Scott Shuman: 2 runs on 1 hit, 4 walks and 2 strikeouts in an inning.
- Jake Jefferies: no-hit ninth frame.