The Stone Crabs manufactured a late game rally but fell short, losing the finale to the Dunedin Blue Jays 10-9 on Wednesday night at Florida Auto Exchange Stadium. The Stone Crabs were in a deep hole early, giving up eight runs by the end of the second inning but a late game rally fell just one run short as the Stone Crabs failed to get the sweep but walked away from Dunedin with the series win.
Dunedin hit the scoreboard first in the bottom of the first inning. Kenny Wilson led off the inning with a walk. He then advanced to third on a double by Ryan Goins. Wilson scored on a while pitch to give them a 1-0 lead.
Then came the dreadful second inning where the D-Jays sent 11 hitters to the plate and walked away with 7 runs. Brad McElroy, Ivan Contreras, Goins, Jon Talley and Brian Van Kirk all plated runs in the inning that led to the Blue Jays taking an 8-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs finally reached the scoreboard in the top of the fifth inning. Mark Thomas opened the inning with a single to center. Mayo Acosta drove home the runner with a double to center for the first run of the night.
The Stone Crabs offense started to click in the seventh inning. Thomas got things started with a solo home run. Anthony Scelfo followed with a double. A walk to Acosta and Hak-Ju Lee getting hit by a pitch loaded the bases for the Stone Crabs. Tyler Bortnick then came through with a three run double to pull the Stone Crabs to within three runs of the lead 8-5.
Dunedin posted back to back one run innings to extend the lead a bit. Talley struck a solo home run in the seventh. Then in the eighth, Jackson hit an RBI triple to extend the lead to 10-5.
But the Stone Crabs rallied in the top of the ninth. Scelfo and Acosta led off the inning with back to back singles. Lee drove home the first run of the inning with a single to center to score Scelfo. Bortnick drove home two more runs with a triple to left. Bortnick then scored on a single by Nommensen to pull within a run of the lead. But the rally fell short as they could not push across another run and fell to the Blue Jays 10-9.
Alex Colome suffered the loss for the Stone Crabs, falling to 1-4 on the season. Nestor Molina was the winning pitcher for Dunedin.
The Stone Crabs head back to Charlotte Sports Park to open a four game series against the Tampa Yankees on Thursday. Drew Leary will start the opener against Sean Black for Tampa.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 1 for 4 with an RBI and 2 runs scored.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 2 for 4 with a double, triple and 5 RBI’s.
- Brett Nommensen (RF): 1 for 5 with an RBI.
- Greg Sexton (3B): 1 for 5.
- Jake Jefferies (1B): 0 for 5.
- Chris Murrill (PR): pinch ran for Jefferies in the ninth.
- Mark Thomas (DH): 3 for 5 with a home run.
- Anthony Scelfo (LF): 2 for 4 with a double.
- Mayo Acosta (C): 2 for 3 with a double.
- Lucas Montero (CF): 0 for 4.
- Alex Colome (Loss, 1-4): 8 runs on 6 hits with 2 walks in 1 2/3 inning.
- Sergio Espinosa: 2 1/3 no hit innings with 2 strikeouts and a walk.
- Deivis Mavarez: 1 run on 2 hits with 3 strikeouts in 3 innings.
- Josh Satow: 1 run on 2 hits with a strikeout in 1 inning.