The Stone Crabs shut-out the Dunedin Blue Jays 6-0 on Monday night at Florida Auto Exchange Stadium. The pitching combination of Merrill Kelly, Adam Liberatore, Deivis Mavarez and Scott Shuman worked the complete game shut-out while allowing just two three hits and striking out a total of 15 D-Jays.
The Stone Crabs took the lead right from the start. Hak-Ju Lee led off the game with a double to right. Lee advanced to third on a ground ball by Tyler Bortnick and then later scored on an RBI single by Greg Sexton to give the Stone Crabs a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs added to their total with a four run third inning. Lee got things started again, this time with a single to center. Bortnick then reached on an error to give them runners at first and second. They would not remain their long as they both moved closer to home on a double steal. Brett Nommensen plated two runs with a double to right. Nommensen then scored on an RBI double by Sexton. Jake Jefferies knocked home the fourth run of the inning with a sac fly to score Sexton and extend the lead to 5-0.
The Stone Crabs pushed across their final run in the top of the seventh. Chris Murrill singled to lead off the inning. He then moved to second on an error and later scored on another error to give the Stone Crabs the 6-0 margin of victory.
Adam Liberatore picked up the win while Chad Jenkins was charged with the loss.
Game three of the four game series is on Tuesday night at Florida Auto Exchange Stadium. Pitcher of the week Kyle Lobstein will face Asher Wojciechowski for Dunedin.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 2 for 5 with a double and 2 runs scored.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 0 for 4 with a run scored.
- Brett Nommensen (RF): 1 for 4 with a double, 2 RBI’s and a run scored.
- Greg Sexton (3B): 2 for 4 with a double, 2 RBI’s and a run scored.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 0 for 4.
- Jake Jefferies (DH): 1 for 3 with a double and an RBI.
- Mark Thomas (C): 0 for 4.
- Chris Murrill (LF): 2 for 4 with a run scored.
- Lucas Montero (CF): 0 for 4.
- Merrill Kelly: 2 no hit innings with 4 strikeouts and 2 walks.
- Adam Liberatore (Win, 2-1): 4 shut-out innings allowing 2 hits while striking out 4 and walking 1.
- Deivis Mavarez: 1 no hit inning with 3 strikeouts and 2 walks.
- Scott Shuman: 2 shut-out innings with 1 hit, 4 strikeouts and a walk.