A wild pitch in the bottom of the ninth inning handed the Stone Crabs a 2-1 walk-off loss to the Clearwater Threshers 2-1 on Friday night at Bright House Field. Great pitching from both starters dominated the night with Alex Colome turning in seven fantastic innings, striking out 9 and only allowing 3 hits and no walks.
The Stone Crabs broke the scoreless tie in the top of the fourth inning. Hak-Ju Lee tripled to left. Lee then scored on an RBI single by Tyler Bortnick to give them a 1-0 lead.
Clearwater wasted no time in tying the game as they led off the inning with a solo home run by Jiwan James to tie the game 1-1.
The game would remained tied at 1-1 until the bottom of the ninth inning. MLB rehabber Chase Utley was hit by a pitch to lead off the inning. He then stole second and later advanced to third on a ground out by Darin Ruf. A wild pitch by Scott Shuman allowed Utley to score from third and hand the Stone Crabs a 2-1 loss.
Shuman was charged with the loss while Eric Pettis was the winning pitcher for Clearwater.
The series wraps up on Saturday with Drew Leary facing Jon Pettitbone.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 1 for 3 with a triple.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 2 for 3 with an RBI.
- Brett Nommensen (RF): 0 for 4.
- Greg Sexton (3B): 0 for 4.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 0 for 3 with a walk.
- Jake Jefferies (DH): 1 for 3.
- Mark Thomas (C): 0 for 3.
- Dustin Biell (CF): 0 for 3.
- Chris Murrill (LF): 0 for 3.
- Alex Colome: 1 run on 1 hit with 9 strikeouts in 7 innings.
- Scott Shuman (Loss, 0-2): 1 run on 1 walk in 1 1/3 innings.