The Stone Crabs struggled yet again against the Lakeland Flying Tigers as they fell 10-1 in the series finale on Tuesday night at Charlotte Sports Park. Three home runs and a disastrous seven run third inning led to the Stone Crabs demise.
Lakeland took the lead in the second inning. Wade Gaynor doubled to left to lead off the inning. He later scored on an RBI double by Avisail Garcia to give them a 1-0 lead.
Then came the dreaded third inning when Lakeland tagged Alex Koronis for 7 runs on 8 hits while sending 12 hitters to the plate in the inning. The runs in the inning came by way of an RBI double by Daniel Fields, an RBI single by Gaynor, a three run homer by Garcia and a two run double by Michael Rockett. The big inning extended the Flying Tiger lead to 8-0.
Lakeland posted two more runs in the seventh inning by the way of the long ball. Tony Plagman and Jordan Lennerton each struck a solo home run to give them a commanding 10-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs picked up their lone home run in the ninth on a solo home run by Mayo Acosta, his second of the season. But it wasn’t near enough as the Stone Crabs suffered the 10-1 loss, dropping three of four to the Flying Tigers to close the series.
MLB rehabber JP Howell was charged with the loss. Jared Wesson was the winning pitcher for Lakeland.
The Stone Crabs depart Charlotte Sports Park to begin an eight game north division road trip with the first four game series beginning against the Clearwater Threshers tomorrow night at Brighthouse Field. Adam Liberatore gets the start against MLB rehabbing Jose Contreras for Clearwater.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 1 for 4
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 0 for 4
- Brett Nommensen (RF): 1 for 3 with a walk.
- Greg Sexton (1B): 1 for 4
- Mayo Acosta (C): 1 for 4 with a solo home run.
- Chris Murrill (LF): 1 for 4.
- Mark Thomas (DH): 1 for 3
- Matt Hall (3B): 0 for 2 with a walk.
- Dustin Biell (CF): 1 for 3.
- JP Howell (Loss, 0-1): 1 run on 2 hits with 2 strikeouts in 1 1/3 innings.
- Alex Koronis: 9 runs (8 earned) on 11 hits with 5 strikeouts in 5 2/3 innings.
- Scott Shuman: 2 no-hit innings with 3 strikeouts.