The Stone Crabs fell to the Lakeland Flying Tigers 7-2 on Monday night at Charlotte Sports Park. For the second consecutive game, the Stone Crabs were unable to quiet the Lakeland offense as they surrendered 11 hits leading to 7 runs.
Lakeland took the lead in the first inning. Daniel Fields sent the first pitch of the game into right field for a double. Then the next batter, Ryan Soares clear the bases with his third home run of the series to give the Flying Tigers a 2-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs fought back to tie the game in the bottom of the second. Chris Murrill singled to left followed by a double by Mark Thomas to put two runners in scoring position. Matt Hall drove home the first run with a ground out that scored Murrill and moved Thomas to third. Thomas then scored on an RBI single by Hak-Ju Lee to tie the game 2-2.
The Lakeland offense struck for a pair of runs in the top of the fifth inning. Jeff Kunkel singled to right followed by a double by Michael Rockett. Fields then hit a sac fly that scored Kunkel. The second run of the inning came on an error on the pick-off attempt, allowing Rockett to score to give them a 4-2 lead.
Lakeland struck again in the top of the seventh. Corey Jones drew a walk to start the inning followed by back to back singles by Kunkel and Rockett to load the bases. Fields drove home two runs with a single to second, increasing the lead to 6-2.
But Lakeland wasn’t finished as they added another run in the ninth. Kunkel tripled to center to lead off the inning. He then scored on an RBI single by Fields to hand the Stone Crabs a 7-2 loss.
Stone Crabs manager Jim Morrison was ejected from the game in the fifth inning for making two mound visits during the same inning.
Both of the new Stone Crabs pitchers (Matt Stabelfeld and Mickey Jannis) saw action during Monday’s game
Drew Leary was charged with the loss. Cole Nelson was the winning pitcher for Lakeland.
The Stone Crabs look to even the series during the finale on Tuesday night at Charlotte Sports Park. Alex Koronis will start against Jared Wesson for Lakeland.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 1 for 3 with an RBI.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 0 for 4.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 0 for 4.
- Greg Sexton (3B): 0 for 3 with a walk.
- Brett Nommensen (RF): 0 for 4.
- Mayo Acosta (DH): 0 for 4.
- Chris Murrill (CF): 3 for 4 with a run scored.
- Mark Thomas (C): 1 for 3 with a double and a run scored.
- Matt Hall (LF): 0 for 1 with an RBI and a walk.
- Drew Leary (Loss, 0-2): 4 runs (3 earned) on 5 hits with 6 strikeouts and a walk in 4 2/3 innings.
- Matt Stabelfeld: no runs, no hits in 1/3 inning.
- Mike Jarman: 2 runs on 3 hits with 3 strikeouts and a walk in 2 innings.
- Mickey Jannis: pitched the final 2 innings and allowed 1 run on 3 hits with a strikeout.