The Stone Crabs surrendered a four run to lose to the Lakeland Flying Tigers 6-5 on Sunday afternoon. The Stone Crabs gave up all six runs via four home runs leading to their fifteenth loss this season after leading the game.
Lakeland struck first in the first inning. Tony Plagman hit a solo home run with two outs to give them a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs battled back to tie the game in the second. Greg Sexton led off the inning with a single to center. Sexton advanced to second on a errant pick-off throw. He then advanced to third on a ground out by Mayo Acosta. Sexton then scored on a passed ball to tie the game 1-1.
The Stone Crabs then took their first lead of the game in the bottom of the third. Chris Murrill and Matt Hall delivered back to back singles to get things started. They both advanced on a double steal to put runners at second and third with one out. Brett Nommensen drove home the first run of the inning with a single to left that scored Murrill. Then Sexton drove home two runners with a double to right, scoring Hall and Nommensen to give the Stone Crabs a 4-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs advanced their lead in the fifth inning. Hall led off the inning with a single to left. He then stole second and advanced to third as the throw sailed into the outfield. Nommensen drove home the run with a ground ball to first that advanced the lead to 5-1.
Lakeland added another run to their total in the sixth on a solo home run by Ryan Soares to pull within three runs of the lead.
Then Lakeland struck for three runs in the eighth to tie the game. Soares and Gustavo Nunez delivered back to back singles to put runners on the bases for a three run homer by Daniel Fields that tied the game 5-5.
The Flying Tigers pushed across the game winning run in the top of the ninth on a solo home run by Avisail Garcia. The Stone Crabs could not pick up a run in the home half of the ninth as they fell 6-5.
Deivis Mavarez was charged with the loss. Jordan Pratt was the winning pitcher for Lakeland and Kenny Faulk earned the save.
These two teams do it again on Monday night at Charlotte Sports Park. Drew Leary will start for the Stone Crabs against Cole Nelson for Lakeland.
- Chris Murrill (LF): 1 for 5 with a run scored.
- Matt Hall (SS): 2 for 4 with 2 runs scored.
- Brett Nommensen (RF): 2 for 4 with 2 RBI’s and a run scored.
- Greg Sexton (3B): 2 for 4 with a double, 2 RBI’s and a run scored.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 0 for 4.
- Mayo Acosta (DH): 0 for 4.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 1 for 3 with a double.
- Mark Thomas (C): 1 for 4.
- Dustin Biell (CF): 0 for 4.
- Alex Colome: 2 runs on 2 hits with 6 strikeouts in 7 innings.
- Adam Liberatore (Blown Save, 1): 3 runs on 3 hits with a strikeout in 1 inning.
- Deivis Mavarez (Loss, 1-4): 1 run on 1 hit with a strikeout and a walk in 1/3 of an inning.
- Josh Satow: no runs or hits in 2/3 inning.