The Stone Crabs losing streak extended to four games with a 5-4 extra innings loss to the Jupiter Hammerheads on Wednesday night at Roger Dean Stadium. The game marked the twelfth time this season that the Stone Crabs surrendered a lead in the late innings resulting in a loss.
The Stone Crabs broke the scoreless tie in the top of the fifth inning. Brett Nommensen drew a walk to lead off the inning. Then Mayo Acosta cleared the bases with a two run shot, his first of the year. Matt Hall then reached on an error and then moved into scoring position on a single by Chris Murrill. Tyler Bortnick drove home Hall with an RBI single to left to give the Stone Crabs a 3-0 lead.
Jupiter answered with a three run inning of their own in the sixth. Alex Colome issued walks to Taylor Krick and Jeremy Synan to put runners on the bases. They did not stay their long as the Hammerhead’s offensive leader Kyle Jensen delivered a three run shot to left to tie the game 3-3.
The Stone Crabs bounced back to take the lead back an inning later. Hall and Murrill delivered back to back singles to get things started. Hak-Ju Lee reached on an error to score Hall and give them a 4-3 lead.
Jupiter tied the game in the ninth inning. Chase Austin doubled to center to lead of the inning. He would later score on a single by Krick to tie the game and force extra innings.
It wasn’t until the bottom of the sixteenth inning that the 4-4 tie would be broken. Krick led off the inning with a single to short. Miguel Fermin then checked into the game as a pinch runner for Krick. Jose Duarte laid down a sac bunt to move the runner into scoring position. Fermin would later score on a grounder by Synan to hand the Stone Crabs a 5-4 loss.
Deivis Mavarez was on the hook for the loss for the Stone Crabs.
The Stone Crabs wrap up the series against the Hammerheads on Thursday morning at Roger Dean Stadium. Drew Leary will make a spot start against Jose Alvarez for Jupiter.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 2 for 8 with 2 stolen bases.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 3 for 7 with an RBI.
- Mark Thomas (C): 1 for 7.
- Greg Sexton (3B): 0 for 5 with a walk.
- Brett Nommensen (RF): 2 for 5 with 2 walks, a run scored and a stolen base.
- Mayo Acosta (1B): 1 for 3 with a 2 run homer.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 1 for 3 with a walk.
- David Wendt (DH): 0 for 4.
- Anthony Scelfo (PH-DH): 0 for 2 with a walk.
- Matt Hall (LF): 1 for 7 with 2 runs scored.
- Chris Murrill (CF): 3 for 7.
- Alex Colome: allowed 3 runs on 4 hits with 6 strikeouts and 4 walks in 6 innings.
- Mike Jarman (Hold, 1): pitched 2 scoreless innings with 2 hits, a strikeout and a walk.
- Josh Satow (Blown Save, 2): 1 run on 2 hits with 2 strikeouts in 2 innings.
- Shane Minks: pitched 4 scoreless innings with 1 hit, 5 walks and 2 strikeouts.
- Deivis Mavarez (Loss, 1-2): allowed an unearned run on 1 hit with 2 walks and a strikeout in 1 2/3 inning.