The Stone Crabs fell to the Fort Myers Miracle 5-3 on Sunday afternoon at Charlotte Sports Park. Despite jumping out to a three run lead in the first inning, the Stone Crabs went scoreless the remaining eight frames to drop the contest. It was a season high four errors and eighth walks that helped put the Stone Crabs in a hole that they could not climb out of.
The Stone Crabs took the lead in the first inning. Hak-Ju Lee doubled to left to lead off the inning, extending his hitting steak to fourteen games. Matt Hall was then hit by a pitch on a bunt attempt to put a second runner aboard the bases. Anthony Scelfo moved the runners ahead a spot with a sac bunt. Greg Sexton drove home the first run of the game with a single to left. Then Brett Nommensen drove home Hall with a sac fly. Sexton later scored on an RBI triple by Mark Thomas to give the Stone Crabs a 3-0 lead.
Fort Myers pulled to within a run of the lead in the third. Aaron Hicks walked with one out. Hicks then stole second and advance to third on an errant throw by Thomas. Brian Dozier then drew a walk to put runners on the corners. Nate Hanson drove home both runners with a single to left that was misplayed in the bright sun by Chris Murrill to pull the Miracle closer to the lead 3-2.
Fort Myers tied the game an inning later. James Beresford singled to center lead off the inning. Beresford advanced to second on a balk and then later to third on an error on a Jonathan Goncalves ground ball. Hicks drove home the run with a sac fly to right that scored Beresford to tied the game 3-3.
Fort Myers took the lead in the top of the seventh. Dozier drew a walk with one out to put a runner on the bases. Dozier stole second and then later scored aided by an error on a grounder by Chris Hermann. The Stone Crabs limited the damage but found themselves trailing 4-3.
The Miracle picked up an insurance run in the top of the ninth inning. Hicks drew a walk and then advanced to second on a wild pitch. Dozier followed with the second walk of the inning issued by Scott Shuman. Herrmann advanced the runners with a sac bunt. Then Shuman intentionally walked Hanson to load the bases. The Stone Crabs failed to get the inning ending double play out of Nick Romero, rather he delivered a sac fly to center that scored Hicks to hand the Stone Crabs a 5-3 loss.
Mike Jarman suffered the loss for the Stone Crabs. Andrew Albers was the winner for Fort Myers while Jhon Garcia earned the save.
The Stone Crabs conclude the series against Fort Myers on Monday night at Charlotte Sports Park. Merrill Kelly will make the start for the Stone Crabs against Kevin Slowey for Fort Myers.
- Hak-Ju Lee (SS): 2 for 5 with a double and a run scored.
- Matt Hall (2B): 1 for 4 with a run scored.
- Anthony Scelfo (DH): 0 for 3.
- Greg Sexton (3B): 2 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Brett Nommensen (RF): 2 for 3 with a double and an RBI.
- Mark Thomas (C): 1 for 3 with a triple and an RBI.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 0 for 4.
- Chris Murrill (LF): 1 for 4.
- Dustin Biell (CF): 0 for 4.
- JP Howell: scoreless innings with a hit, strikeout and a walk.
- Alex Koronis: allowed 3 runs (1 earned) on 3 hits with 2 strikeouts and 3 walks.
- Mike Jarman (Loss, 1-3): allowed a run on 2 hits with 3 strikeouts and a walk.
- Scott Shuman: pitched an inning and allowed a run on 3 walks with a strikeout.