The Stone Crabs were unable to stop the red hot St. Lucie Mets as they fell 5-4 on Saturday night at Digital Domain Park. The Stone Crabs lost via walk-off for the second night in a row as they were swept by the Mets.
The Mets broke through the scoreless tie in the bottom of the sixth inning. Matt Den Dekker tripled to center to lead off the inning. Jefry Marte drove home the run with a sac fly to score Den Dekker and give them a 1-0 lead.
The Stone Crabs bounced back to tie the game an inning later. Dustin Biell singled on a bunt to reach base with one out. Biell advanced to third base on two wild pitches. Matt Hall knocked home the run with a sac fly to tie the game 1-1.
St. Lucie jumped back on top in the bottom if the seventh. Matt Bouchard doubled to left to lead off the inning. Pedro Zapata drove home Bouchard with an RBI single to right. Den Dekker followed with a single that moved Zapata to third. Juan Centeno then reached on an error by Mike Jarman, scoring Zapata on the errant throw. A double steal moved both runners into scoring position. A ground ball by Juan Lagares scored Den Dekker to give the Mets a 4-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs battled back to tie the game in the top of the eighth. Anthony Scelfo and Greg Sexton led off the inning with back to back doubles with Scelfo scoring on Sexton’s shot to left. Sexton would then score on an RBI single by Mike Sheridan. Sheridan later scored on an RBI single by Mark Thomas to tie the game 4-4.
But just like the night before, the Mets rallied for a walk-off win, this time in the bottom of the ninth. Zapata double to right and later scored the winning run on a ground ball by Centeno, handing the Stone Crabs a 5-4 loss for the second night in a row.
Mike Jarman suffered the loss for the Stone Crabs. Nick Carr was the winning pitcher for St. Lucie.
The Stone Crabs return home to Charlotte Sports Park to open up a six game homestand with the first series against the Palm Beach Cardinals. Sunday’s game marks the first day game in franchise history. The Stone Crabs send Jake Thompson to the hill to face Eric Fornataro of Palm Beach.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 0 for 3 with 2 walks.
- Chris Murrill (LF-CF): 0 for 3 with a walk.
- Brett Nommensen (RF): 1 for 2 with a walk.
- Anthony Scelfo (LF): 1 for 2 with a double and a run scored.
- Greg Sexton (3B): 1 for 5 with a double, RBI and a run scored.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 1 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Mayo Acosta (DH): 0 for 3.
- Mark Thomas (C): 2 for 4 with a double and an RBI.
- Dustin Biell (CF-RF): 2 for 4 with a double and a run scored.
- Matt Hall (SS): 2 for 3 with an RBI.
- Alex Koronis: allowed 1 run on 4 hits with 8 strikeouts and a walk in 6 innings.
- Mike Jarman (Loss, 0-1): allowed 4 runs (3 earned) on 5 hits with 2 strikeouts in 2 1/3 innings.