The Stone Crabs dropped the series opener to the St. Lucie Mets on Thursday night at Digital Domain Park. Despite coming back to tie the game on two separate occasions, the Stone Crabs were unable to take a lead in the game and gave the Mets their sixth win in a row. The Stone Crabs put runners on the bases with nine hits on the night, but struggled to get them home by going 0 for 10 with runners in scoring position.
St. Lucie took broke the scoreless tie in the bottom of the third inning. Juan Centeno drew a walk and then later scored on a throwing error by Anthony Scelfo to give the Mets a 1-0 lead.
But the Stone Crabs wasted no time in tying the game, striking for a run in the next inning. Scelfo made up for his error with a single to center. Scelfo then moved to second on a balk and then to third on a wild pitch. Mike Sheridan drove home Scelfo with a ground ball to first to tie the game 1-1.
It did not take long for the Met to take control of the lead again as they pushed across two runs in the bottom of the fourth. They opened the inning with three consecutive singles by Travis Ozga, Juan Lagares and Rafael Fernandez to load the bases. Rylan Sandoval hit into a double play that scored Ozga for the first run of the inning. Lagares then scored on an RBI double by Juan Centeno to give the Mets a 3-1 lead.
The Stone Crabs answered with a two run inning of their own in the top of the fifth inning. Tyler Bortnick and Chris Murrill hit back to back singles to lead off the inning. Both runners advanced a base on a throwing error by the St. Lucie pitcher. Then Brett Nommensen drew a walk to load the bases. Bortnick scored on a wild pitch then Scelfo drove home Murrill to tie the game 3-3.
St. Lucie regained the lead in the bottom of the fifth inning. Wilmer Flores singled with one out and then advanced to second on an error by Scelfo. Flores moved to third on a passed ball and then scored on a ground ball by Ozga to put the Mets in front 4-3
The Mets pushed across two insurance runs on the bottom of the eighth inning. Rylan Sandoval struck a to run double to score Lagares and Fernandez, handing the Stone Crabs a 6-3 defeat.
The Stone Crabs call upon Merrill Kelly (0-0, 4.50) to try and stop St. Lucie’s winning streak on Friday night. Kelly will face Kyle Allen (0-0, 0.00) for the Mets.
- Tyler Bortnick (2B): 1 for 5 with a run scored.
- Chris Murrill (CF): 2 for 4 with a walk and a run scored.
- Brett Nommensen (RF): 1 for 4 with a walk.
- Anthony Scelfo (3B): 2 for 4 with an RBI and a run scored.
- Mayo Acosta (DH): 1 for 3.
- Mike Sheridan (1B): 0 for 4 with an RBI.
- Mark Thomas (C): 1 for 4.
- Gabe Cohen (LF): 1 for 4 with a double.
- Matt Hall (SS): 0 for 4.
- Chris Andujar (Loss, 0-1): allowed 4 runs (2 earned) on 6 hits with 2 strikeouts and 6 walks in 4 2/3 inning.
- Adam Liberatore: pitched 2 1/3 scoreless innings with 1 hit and 3 strikeouts.
- Shane Minks: allowed 2 runs on 3 hits with a strikeout in 1 inning.