The GCL Rays trailed much of the second game as they lost to the GCL Red Sox 4-1 in game two of Monday’s doubleheader.
The Red Sox offense picked up right where it left off in the first game by scoring a pair of runs in the second inning. Derek Miller delivered a two run single to give the Red Sox a 2-0 lead.
The Red Sox scored another pair of runs in the fifth. They loaded the bases with two walks and a single. A bases loaded walk to Victor Acosta scored the first run and the second came via a passed ball to increase the Red Sox lead to 4-0.
The Rays avoided a shut-out by scoring their lone run in the bottom of the sixth inning. Oscar Sanay led off the inning with walk. He later scored on a sacrifice by Jose Rojas. But the Rays couldn’t push across any more runs as they fell 4-1.
Deivy Mendez was charged with the loss for the Rays.
The Rays are back at it Tuesday night under the lights at Charlotte Sports Park as they host the Red Sox again. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30.
- Oscar Sanay (2B): 1 for 2 with a walk and a run scored
- Cade Gotta (CF): 1 for 3
- Bill Pujols (3B): 1 for 3
- Jose Rojas (C): 0 for 2 with an RBI
- Josh Rapacz (1B): 0 for 2
- Christian Knott (RF): 0 for 3
- Matt Ford (SS): 0 for 3
- Chris DeMorais (DH): 1 for 3 with a double
- Jaime Ayende (LF): 0 for 3
- Deivy Mendez (Loss, 1-3): 2 unearned runs on 3 hits with 2 strikeouts and 3 walks in 4 innings pitched
- Tommy Lawrence: 2 runs, 1 earned on 3 hits with 5 strikeouts and 3 walks in 3 innings