Baseball America released their 2014 Top Prospects for the Tampa Bay Rays on Wednesday, and six former Stone Crabs were named on the list:
- Hak-Ju Lee, SS (2011) – ranked #2
- Enny Romero, LHP (2012) – ranked #4
- Alex Colome, RHP (2010-2011) – ranked #5
- Ryan Brett, 2B (2013) – ranked #8
- Tim Beckham, SS (2010) – ranked #9
- Kevin Kiermaier, OF (2012) – ranked #10
Posted in Charlotte Stone Crabs, Class of 2010, Class of 2011, Class of 2012, Class of 2013, Press Releases
Tagged Alex Colome, Enny Romero, Hak-Ju Lee, Kevin Kiermaier, Ryan Brett, Tim Beckham
Here’s a stat check on former Stone Crabs participating in various Caribbean Winter Leagues.
- Adam Liberatore (2011 alum): 0-0, 10.12 ERA in 6 games (2.2 IP) with the Estrellas de Oriente. 1 walk, 1 strikeout, .417 BA against.
- Bruedlin Suero (2013): 1-0, 1.45 ERA in 9 games (2 starts, 18.2 IP total) with the Toros del Este. 2 walks, 11 strikeouts, .282 BA against.
- Mayobanex Acosta (2011/2012): .283 BA in 21 games (46 AB) with the Toros del Este. 2 doubles, 1 homerun, 2 RBI, 3 walks, 13 strikeouts.
Roberto Clemente League – Puerto Rico
- Victor Mateo (2012): 2-2, 4.37 ERA in 7 games (5 starts, 22.2 IP total) with the Cangrejeros de Santurce . Has allowed four homeruns; 7 walks, 29 strikeouts, .298 BA against.
Venezuelan Winter League
- Leslie Anderson (2010): .323 BA in 41 games (158 AB) with the Caribes de Anzoategui. 12 doubles, 4 homeruns, 27 RBI, 25 walks, 17 strikeouts, 2 stolen bases/3 attempts.
- Felipe Rivero (2013): 0-0, 7.94 ERA in 5 games (5.2 IP) with the Leones de Caracas. 2 homeruns, 1 walk, 7 strikeouts, .320 BA against.
- Alejandro Segovia (2013): .286 BA in 3 games (7 AB) with the Leones de Caracas. 2 walks, 3 strikeouts, 1 stolen base/2 attempts.
Mario Fernandez (2013) is also a listed participant in the Venezuelan Winter League with the Bravos de Margarita, but he thus far has no statistics.
Posted in Alumni, Charlotte Stone Crabs, Class of 2010, Class of 2011, Class of 2012, Class of 2013, MLB Winter League
Tagged Adam Liberatore, Alejandro Segovia, Bruedlin Suero, Dominican League, Felipe Rivero, Leslie Anderson, Mario Fernandez, Mayo Acosta, Roberto Clemente League, Venezuelan Winter League, Victor Mateo
A trio of former Stone Crabs players were added to the Tampa Bay Rays 40-man roster on Tuesday in light of Wednesday’s deadline: teams with players exposed to the December draft had until midnight to protect qualifying players.
Kirby Yates (2010-2011), C.J. Riefenhauser (2012), and Jesse Hahn (2013) were all selected for the 40-man roster and thereby do not risk selection in the Rule 5.
Two former Stone Crabs remain exposed to the draft: Todd Glaesmann (2012) and Merrill Kelly (2011).
Information about the implications of the Rule 5 draft can be found here.
Posted in Charlotte Stone Crabs, Class of 2010, Class of 2011, Class of 2012, Class of 2013, Transactions
Tagged CJ Riefenhauser, Jesse Hahn, Kirby Yates, Merrill Kelly, Rule 5 draft, Todd Glaesmann
Here’s a brief statistical rundown on the former Stone Crabs players who participated in the Arizona Fall League this year:
- Richie Shaffer (2013): .277 BA in 16 games (47 at-bats); 4 doubles, 6 RBI, 17 walks, 17 strikeouts, and 2 stolen bases.
- Ryan Brett (2013): .154 BA in 16 games (52 at-bats); 2 doubles, 2 triples, 1 RBI, 11 walks, 9 strikeouts, and 7 stolen bases.
- Todd Glaesmann (2012): .105 BA in 5 games (19 at-bats); 1 double, 1 RBI, a walk, and 4 strikeouts
- Curt Casali (2013): .250 BA in 1 game (4 at-bats); 2 walks. Shut down due to elbow inflammation
- Grayson Garvin (2013): 3-2, 3.76 ERA in 6 starts (26.1 IP); 8 walks, 21 strikeouts, 11 earned runs allowed (1 HR)
- Mike Montgomery (2013): 0-1, 2.57 ERA in 9 relief appearances (14 IP); 4 walks, 14 strikeouts, 4 earned runs allowed
- Merrill Kelly (2011): 1-0, 4.91 ERA in 9 relief appearances (11 IP); 3 walks, 9 strikeouts, 6 earned runs allowed (2 HR)
- Matt Ramsey (2013): 0-0, 2.09 ERA in 9 relief appearances (8.2 IP); 3 walks, 7 strikeouts, 2 earned runs allowed
Posted in Charlotte Stone Crabs, Class of 2011, Class of 2012, Class of 2013, MLB Winter League, Stats
Tagged Arizona Fall League, Curt Casali, Grayson Garvin, Matt Ramsey, Merrill Kelly, Mike Montgomery, Richie Shaffer, Ryan Brett, Todd Glaesmann
Despite a 3-2 victory over the Glendale Desert Dogs on Thursday evening, Salt River was unable to snag the division title from the Mesa Solar Sox, who also won and thereby eliminated the Rafters.
Salt River closed out the season with a 19-12 record (.613 winning percentage). The AFL Championship game will feature Mesa and the Surprise Saguaros on Saturday at 1:10 MST (2:10 EST).
- Mike Montgomery (2013): 2 strikeouts in 2 innings
Salt River rode to victory against the Scottsdale Scorpions on Wednesday, completing the contest with an 8-5 advantage.
One game of regular season play remains. The Rafters eye the Saturday Championship Game, but continue to trail the Mesa Solar Sox by a half-game in the AFL East (Mesa won, also, on Wednesday). The team hopes to overtake Mesa with a win and subsequent Solar Sox loss on Thursday; they face Scottsdale at the Salt River Fields in a 12:35 MST (2:35 EST) game.
- Richie Shaffer (2013): 1 for 3 with a double and 2 runs scored
Salt River pummeled the Glendale Desert Dogs to open the final week of Arizona Fall League play. Richie Shaffer scored one of the Rafters’ eight total runs, and the pitching staff held the Desert Dogs to a mere run to finalize the game.
Salt River continues to keep pace with the Mesa Solar Sox in the AFL East, trailing by a half game, but with an elimination number of three. The Rafters take on Glendale on Tuesday afternoon at 12:35 MST (2:35 EST).
- Richie Shaffer (2013): 1 for 3 with a walk and a run scored
- Mike Montgomery (2013): two strikeouts in 1.2 innings
- Matt Ramsey (2013): 3 walks in .2 innings
- Merrill Kelly (2011): 2 hits and a strikeout in 1.1 innings
Grayson Garvin toed the rubber on Saturday night and put up an efficient five-inning performance in Salt River’s 7-2 victory over Peoria. Garvin, the sole Stone Crabs representative to appear in the game, allowed two earned runs off seven hits, walked one, and struck out seven to complete his line.
The Arizona Fall League will enter its final week of play on Monday, followed by a championship game on Saturday, November 16, featuring the AFL East and West winners. The Rafters currently trail the Mesa Solar Sox by a half game in the East: the two teams do not meet up again in the season. Salt River travels to Glendale for a game against the Desert Dogs on Monday, with a scheduled start time of 12:35 MST (2:35 EST).
Salt River grabbed another win on Friday afternoon against Peoria, besting the Javelinas 3-1. The Rafters remain a half game back of the Mesa Solar Sox, however, as the latter also won its game.
Salt River rounds out the week at home versus Peoria, with a scheduled Saturday evening start time of 6:10 MST (8:10 EST).
- Richie Shaffer (2013): 0 for 2 with a walk
Richie Shaffer (2013) gave one of his best offensive performances in the Arizona Fall League thus far on Thursday evening. Shaffer went 2-for-3 with an RBI in the form of a sacrifice fly, and also nabbed his second stolen base. With his help, Salt River pulled out a 4-2 win over the Scottsdale Scorpions.
The Rafters trail the Mesa Solar Sox by a mere half game in the AFL East division. The team visits Peoria for a 12:35 MST (2:35 EST) contest against the Javelinas.